Chapter 63: He is Dead.

Narcissa's POV

I hold onto Lucius's hand anxiously as we wait for the boy in the Forbidden Forest. He looks back at me with a nervous expression, forcing a reassuring smile. I look away immediately, feeling sick to my stomach.

We stand in the darkness behind the Dark Lord, surrounded by his entire army, quietly waiting. Every Death Eater and follower who had survived is here... all but my son...

With each step I take, the air grows colder, sending shivers racing down my spine. The forest seems to close in around me, suffocating me with its oppressive atmosphere. Every rustle of leaves, every snap of twigs underfoot sends my nerves jangling with apprehension. Will Potter show? Will he sacrifice himself for the lives of all those students?

Would he give up so easily? He is supposed to be the Chosen One... supposed to be my only hope for a way out of this life... but that almost doesn't seem to matter anymore. I don't care who dies and who lives... all I care for is my Draco.

The words of Voldemort continue to ring in my ears.

"Every drop of magical blood is a waste."

The faces of the fallen young wizards at the school flash before me once again, and all I can think is, was one of those faces my boy, was any of the wasted blood ... his...

My thoughts are suddenly interrupted by the sound of footsteps carefully and slowly approaching. My heart feels like it's about to fall out of my chest as I slowly make out the figure approaching.

Potter...

I don't even care about the exchanges between the Dark Lord and Harry. I stare into the emptiness of the forest, knowing we were sentenced to this life forever.

Suddenly, a flash of green light snaps me out of my trance, causing me to gasp as I watch the boy's body fall to the ground... lifeless. Just when I think I've lost the ability to feel anything, a wave of guilt washes over me as I stare at his body on the ground.

He is just a boy... like my Draco.

I involuntarily walk towards his body, ignoring Voldemort on the ground, who seemed to have also been knocked down after the killing curse.

I need to know if he is truly dead.

I hover over him, watching him intently.

"Is he dead?" Bellatrix asks.

I bend down slowly as I touch his neck to feel a pulse.

It can't be... I must be imagining things... his heart is still beating...

How is this possible, how could he possibly survive this curse again?

I can feel the eyes of the entire army burning into the back of my head as everyone anxiously awaits my answer.

This was the moment... the moment I need to make a choice.

I bend closer to his ear and whisper very quietly,

"Is he alive? Draco?"

I watch his expression carefully, when suddenly his head slowly nods, making me shed a tear of relief. I quickly compose myself and get up immediately. The choice is finally clear.

"Dead," I say, looking back at the Dark Lord firmly.

Draco's POV

"Thank you, Draco," Madame Pomfrey says as I hand her a pile of blankets. I scan the faces of the scared and cold students crouched on the ground, watching them eagerly reach out for a blanket, almost like they were seeking some kind of comfort.