ii. Rumor Has It...?

Start from the beginning

Annabeth chewed her lips then nodded, "You know what, just tell me."

"Okay, if you wish...They said that you kidnapped Percy and gave him a love potion to make him fall in love with you."

"What," blinked Annabeth. "Are you serious?"

"No, I'm just kidding! No one said that! Sorry!" exclaimed Piper and Annabeth sighed in relief. "Anyways, the rumors are that you guys met over summer and are secretly dating, but of course, they're false as Percy told us that you guys just met today."

"Yeah, we did," Annabeth sheepishly nodded then asked, "Did these rumors started because Percy and I were holding hands?"

"Yes, but also because you two were late together and holding hands, so everyone just assumed, you know, you and Percy are together. And also just to let you know, a lot of people are upset adored Percy so they're very upset because they wanted to date Percy."

"Well, I'm not dating him! I...barely even know him!" Annabeth quickly recalled the leers and side-eyes in her direction and asked, "How popular is he?"

"Well," Piper answered, "The girls want him, and the guys... also want him, so uh, I considered him pretty popular."

"Oh, how great," mumbled Annabeth, "Is there any way where I can convince people that Percy and I are not dating?"

"Okay," Piper bit her lips, "This is going to sound weird but don't respond to the rumors! After all, people will eventually realize that it was false and they'll forgot about it! I'll bet you there's going to be some big thing they're going to gossip about soon! So, try not to worry about it too much."

"Yeah, you're right," Annabeth nodded then half-smiled, "Thank you, Piper."

"It's no problem," Piper beamed, "Anyways, tell me about yourself. I heard you came from San Francisco! My boyfriend used to live there before he moved here. How is it like in San Francisco? Do you miss it?"

"Well, the weather can be very unpredictable: it can be very sunny one day and a foggy and rainy the next. It's also very busy and crowded like Manhattan," chuckled Annabeth, then shrugged, "I do miss San Francisco, but I really like here."

"Good," exclaimed Piper, then asked, "Can I see your schedule? I want to know if we have any classes together."

"Sure," beamed Annabeth and handed her schedule to Piper.

As Piper compared their schedules, Annabeth gazed around the cafeteria till they landed on a certain jet-black haired boy and she bit her lips, watching him laugh and chat with his friends.

Annabeth couldn't believe that everyone thought she was dating Percy Jackson! They just met today! She knew nothing about him! Well, besides he was a very talented swimmer and everyone apparently had a crush on him!

Her eyes widened as Percy's eyes met here and he beamed and waved at her and she sheepishly waved back, cheeks flushed from being caught staring.

"Annabeth? Annabeth?"

"Huh?!!" Annabeth looked at Piper and sheepishly said, "Sorry! What did you say? I was, uh, distracted."

"It's fine," Piper cheekily smiled, glancing between Annabeth and Percy, "I was saying: unfortunately, we don't have any classes together, but our next classes are nearby we can walk there together—that's if you want to walk there together."

"No, no! I would love that!"

After lunchtime was over, Annabeth and Piper continued their conversation of getting to know each other as they headed to their classes when a close-cropped blond haired boy ran up to them and kissed Piper's cheeks then beamed at Annabeth and they instantly recognized one another.