ch. 19 x step outside

Jungkook's POV

I wondered what my father was leading me outside for.

On god, if we're out here so he can scold me... It's over for me.

"Son," He pulled out a cigarette from a pack and offered me one.

As always, I declined.

He put his cigarette pack back into his pocket, "there's something you're mother and I have been discussing for a while."

I tilted my head. "Like what?"

He took a puff from his cigar and breathed it out. "What are your thoughts about marriage? Having a future with somebody?"

I paused all my movement.

Marriage.

"Um... I do want to marry eventually, if that's the answer your looking for."

He nodded. "This Sooyung Lilith," He drew his eyes back to me. "Do you plan to marry her?"

Sooyung Lilith.

Without doubt, she is the one I want to marry.

There's no reason for me to ever leave her. She's the best partner anybody could ever ask for.

"Yes." That was the truth. I could never say no to that.

"Your mother and I have recently been talking about the family ring." He threw the cigarette on the ground and squished the bud with his shoe.

I looked at him surprised, "Oh?"

The family ring has been passed down since the 1500s. That's over 500 years worth of honorable women that have worn it to represent our family line.

The ring is an emerald-cut diamond with a diamond covered ring. The emerald-cut diamond itself is worth nearly a million U.S. dollars.

My father pulled out a black velvet ring box.

My eyes widened and I haven't even seen the ring yet.

"We want to give this to you." He carefully handed me the box. "When the time is right, you will use it. Hopefully, for Lilith."

I carried the box with both hands and admired it for a few long seconds. "How do I thank you both?"

My dad scoffed and smiled at me while placing a hand on my shoulder. "As long as we know that you're out there living your life with the woman of your dreams, that's enough for us."

He then left to go back inside.

I held the box just for a minute longer. I held it so securely, scared of ever losing it. I walked out further into the balcony.

You could see the entire city.

The admirable skyline.

Seoul, South Korea.

This is where it all started.

Where Lilith and I met each other.

Our lives together should be able to continue to thrive here.

I want to start a future with the love of my life.

And so... that... I will do.

end of  "ch. 19 x step outside"
___