Chapter 24

Yahaba's POV:

Life just went on. I spent time painting and practicing volleyball instead of worrying about the engagement. I didn't want my anxious behavior to stress out Kentaro. He's been through enough.

"Yahaba, have you finally finished the painting you've been working so diligently on?"

"Yes!"

"Can I take a look?"

"Sure."

I proudly showed my art teacher the final painting. The familiar yellow wolf, howling at the stars, his soft albino partner wrapped around his feet. The sky was lit up with the shimmer of stars and the soft twinkle of the fireflies. The trees surrounded the scene, almost seeming like delay foes surrounding a pair of heroes. It was perfect. I can't wait to show Kentaro, I'm sure he'll love it too.

"This is different from your typical pieces. It has the same character, that wolf you always seem to love drawing, but the emotion is all different. Did something happen?"

"Yes, I met my soulmate." I said, pulling up the sleeve on the messy t-shirt I use when painting.

"Oh. So the wolf is your soulmate tattoo. I guess that explains why you like it so much. Is your soulmate nice?"

"I guess, in their own way. They're rather shy, so they don't seem it at first, but they're caring and strong."

At that moment, the bell rung and Kentaro walked into the room as the rest of my classmates left. Why's Kentaro here? Our lunch is in an hour? Oh... I forgot. We got our lunchtime moved because all the third years need this time for study hall. Their exams will start soon, so they all got moved into our old lunchtime. Sucks to be them. Well, at least Kentaro can see the new painting.

"Kentaro! It's finished!"

"Really? Wow, that was fast. Let me see."

"Why else would I be calling you over, dummy? Now come here, I'm sure you'll love it."

He walked over and I showed him the painting. He looked at it carefully, like he was trying to pinpoint every little detail on the canvas. His eyes traced over the painting once, then twice, then a third time, before he turned to me. 

"It's beautiful. How do you do it? This was exactly what I was thinking of when we planned it out. It's just... perfect." He described, with little sparks in his eyes. 

I honestly don't know how he sees it like that. Sure, at first glance I thought it was perfect, but now I can see it's flaws. It bugs me how I could have liked it hen there were all of there mistakes that made the piece seem lower.

"Are you sure? There are so many little flaws, all over the place-"

"Do you really think I care about the minor flaws? It's beautiful, and isn't that what you were going for?"

"Well yeah but-"

"No buts, you're only going to ruin your art for yourself."

"Fine. So, where are we going to put it?"

"The wall opposite the couch maybe?"

"The one with the fireplace and those little bookshelves?"

"Yep."

"Okay, If you want it there."

"I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but don't you two have to get to lunch?"

"Shoot! Yeah, you're right. Come on, Shigeru, we're going to miss lunch!"

"Alright, I'm coming. I'll be back during club hours to pick up the painting."