Sea Kelp

"Make sure you keep your calm in the exam hall. If you fee-"

"I'm fine, Riddle," Maybelle cut him off with a wave of her hand.

She was walking towards the exam halls along with Zayden when Riddle had stolen her for a few words of encouragement before she sat for the exams. Poor Zayden was all pouty and sad once their 'best friends' time was interrupted. He had mentioned quite a lot of time that Riddle had a habit of glaring at him.

Maybelle had just laughed it off saying that Riddle glared at everyone.

"If you fail, I am going to drown you in the black lake," the Slytherin boy threatened.

"I won't fail," Maybelle groaned out.

She didn't give him another chance to reply and dashed off towards her Griffindor friend. Zayden grinned once he saw her and pulled her into a playful chokehold.

"You seemed to have forgotten me staying with that Riddle," he mumbled. Maybelle rolled her eyes.

"I was with you the whole evening just yesterday. I say you are jealous."

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

The girl huffed once she realised that they were being childish. She ran her fingers through her knots, wincing in pain.

"Besides, whenever I'm with you, you play with your stupid cat instead of giving me attention," she stated grumpily.

"Now who's jealous?" He asked looking smug.

Before she could bite back another comment, the professors rushed them inside the examination hall.

Once settled in her seat, Maybelle glanced around, trying to find the familiar Slytherin boy. As expected, he was seated at the back of the class, far away from everyone so that no one could even think of copying from him.

On the other hand, Maybelle was seated right in front of the professor's desk to keep under the strict provision.

"Okay, students. Settle down in your respective seats," professor McGonagall clapped her hands and declared. The students took a minute to quest down when she started again.

"This is the start of your final exams for the fourth year. Any student failing in even a single subject will not be promoted to the fifth year. Your exam will be conducted for three hours. I expect absolute discipline during these hours. Do not even think about cheating," she warned.

Maybelle loosened her tie to make it messier than it already was. She waited for the professor to give her the question paper.

How hard could it be?

She could already hear groans and whispers coming from around the hall. When she finally got her questions, her brown eyes ran through the paper.

History of Magic was indeed a boring subject. Maybelle never considered studying it much. But the questions were quite easy for her. She had read tons of books from Helena's library about the magical ruins and mystical creatures.

But her strategy was to get average marks. She couldn't afford to fail. But she definitely didn't want to score high and appear as a challenge to Tom. That would hamper her future plans.

So, the exam began.

The students busied them in dipping their quills in ink pots. The silent hall was only filled with swishing sounds of writing on paper and occasional yawns from Maybelle, much to McGonagall's displeasure.