57. The Serpent's Tale

"You knew the Girls?"

Janus blinks, having not expected to slip up, worse to have been caught.

Still, he was known for his suave, silver tongue; he quickly slips on a smirk.

"I did know them, yes." He says matter of factly and before Remy could possibly say anything, Deceit continues. "They were the Figments who's memories I helped restore-"

This time the Guardian stands, his mouth opened but once again the Scaled Side cut him off. "I hadn't meant to mention it this soon however, but I do question why it matters. Nothing I can say or do will change the outcome."

"but-

Janus holds a yellow gloved finger up. "Also, in my defense, I had assumed you knew, I did after all, call them by name when they entered my room with you regarding Remus' incident."

Sleep pauses, deflating as if hit, before exhaling and scratching the back of his neck sheepishly.

"I-I thought Remus just told you about them-"

"And that I simply guessed their names correctly?"

Remy shrugs, " I mean, it's really not that hard."

Janus smiles softly, "True, but no. I knew them long before I ever met Remus, as a matter of fact, I was the one who introduced them-"

"Really? So you were friends with the Girls?" Pipes Thomas. The Host seemed to be very invested.

Janus turns to him with a smirk and a shrug.

"I wouldn't call us friends, more like the only gay classmates in an extremely homophobic high-school trying to survive senior year without getting outed."

When everyone else blinks in confusion, the Serpentine Side smiles widely, oddly proud of himself. He presses his index and thumb together as he pulls his hand back in gesture. "You'll see how that analogy applies in a bit"

He then turns back to the Aspect.

Even with his Shades on Remy still looked visibly distraught and confused. "Why didn't they tell me? They didn't even bother to introduce me to you or anything-"

"I told you, we weren't friends and on one end I can only assume they didn't want to reveal my name as we had promised long ago. Names are powerful things and we kept them close to the chest, for good reason too. I'm sure they've told you something similar, no?"

The younger nods, shakily, gritting his teeth. "Yeah, on the first day we met actually... Still you never said anything when the Sand showed you-"

Deceit cut the Guardian off quickly, "I'm aware that the situation was unjust and beyond tragic, but do keep in mind, that everyone grieves differently Dream Keeper"

Sleep looks down, his clenched fists trembling. He exhales,"...right...sorry", his voice no more than a defeated whisper.

Janus frowns near imperceptibly, before his expression morphs into something softer.

"They did love you though, that much was very apparent."

The Aspect tilts his head, "what?"

"You heard me", continues Deceit, "for as long as I've known them, I did learn their love languages: time and physical affection. If they cared for you, they would spend as much time with you as possible, not only that but they were a very tactile pair. If you weren't hugged, or shoved or poked, punched or teased, then something was wrong. Sound familiar, hmm?"