- Maria -

Eliza looked pale and exhausted when she finally made her way back to where we were sitting. I didn't ask about what she had said to Alex, and she didn't say anything when she came back to us. Just sat down and started staring at the floor again.

We sat in silence for a while again. Everyone seemed so tense and scared. I didn't like seeing either of them like this, but especially not Eliza. She was never so far-off from her bubbly self. It was almost scary to see her living like a zombie like she was right now.

"Hey, now that we know he's stable... maybe it's a good idea to head home for a couple of hours and get some rest. He told me that he'd be okay here if we went to get some sleep." John said after a few more minutes of silence. I was surprised that he was the one encouraging us to go get some rest instead of me. I nodded and looked to Eliza, who had a look of panic in her eyes.

"No, no. I'll stay here. You guys go, get some sleep." She insisted, shaking her head.

"Eliza, do you really want to be here alone, are you sure?" I asked, reaching for her hand. She nodded quickly.

"I'll be fine, really. I want to be here in case he needs someone. And I already left a little bit ago, so I'll be good here for a while." She told us stubbornly, holding up her coffee to remind us that she had left to get it.

John and I exchanged a look and he shrugged a little bit. I looked back to her and she was practically begging me with her eyes to let her stay.

"You really want to stay? You'll call if you or Alex need anything at all?" I asked. She nodded.

"Just get some sleep. Don't worry about me." Eliza said. I sighed and nodded and she gave me the tiniest smile. I kissed her on the cheek and she stood up to pull me into a hug.

We lingered there for a good second, my arms tightly around her waist and hers around my neck. She was just barely shorter than me, and she tucked her head down under my chin. I let out a deep breath I hadn't realized I was holding and kissed the top of her head before turning back to John.

"Are you ready?" I asked. He nodded and gave Eliza a hug and just like that, she was back in her seat and we were walking out of the big glass doors in the front of the hospital.

I was worried about Eliza. I couldn't even begin to imagine what was happening inside her head right now. I felt like all I could do was be there for her, but... I'm not even with her right now. I felt guilt growing in me as I walked down the streets in the early morning light. I figured walking in the fresh air would help to clear my mind.

Something felt off, though. As I wandered back to Eliza's dorm, I just felt off. My senses seemed heightened despite my lack of sleep, and I found myself trying to listen for anything that might be different or something. I felt something brush my shoulder and I jumped, turning around to see a streak of movement but not seeing exactly what it was.

I picked up my pace a little bit, not wanting to put myself in a bad situation if I could avoid it. That's definitely the thing I need the least right now. Another bad situation. Besides, it was probably just a bug that hit my shoulder.

I walked even faster, wishing John didn't have to go in the other direction to get home. I felt like something or someone was watching me, and I kept my hand clutched on my phone, just in case.

I kept looking behind me as I speed-walked through the streets, trying to get back faster and faster. I felt so paranoid and I couldn't quite figure out why.

That is, until I turned around again and finally caught a glimpse of what was following me.

My worst nightmare reincarnated, my sleepless nights and my aching fears standing right in front of me made my heart free fall to my stomach.