- Eliza -

Maria has had a really rough time lately with everything going on. It seems like every day just brings more bad news for her. However, I'm determined to change that.

It's been a few days since her mother called, and she told me that the pain is nearly gone and that the doctors said she should be about done with the miscarriage process. So tonight, we're going to have a date. A real one.

I told her that I'm going to work for the day, and she insisted on coming in to help out. I refused to let her come with me, though. She still needs as much rest as possible. And besides, I'm not even really going to work.

I stop by some stores near the café, boutiques and little shops to find myself and Maria something to wear. I decide on a dress in my usual blue for myself. It's a darker blue than I usually wear, but the dress hits right above my knees and has flowing sleeves, almost like a hippie dress from the late 60s. It was too cute to resist.

For Maria, I found a bright red dress, a color I saw her wearing often. It was loose and flowy, which I wanted. I wanted her to be comfortable but still feel nice and dressed up. I checked out both dresses and carried the bags through the streets as I walked to Alex's apartment. He was helping me plan the date.

I saw a bouquet of flowers sitting by his door, and he told me that he had picked them up for me to give to Maria tonight. I thanked him and gave him a hug. What a great best friend, right?

He told me all about the restaurant that she and I were going to go to tonight, a nice Italian place a few streets away from the café that had glowing reviews and a quiet atmosphere. Then, we'd go back to my dorm and watch a cute movie, during which I'd give her the flowers and some other little gifts. A cliché date, sure. But it was nicer than takeout in our pajamas, although I'm not complaining about that.

Another key part of my plan was to introduce Maria to Angelica, and introduce her as my girlfriend. Essentially, coming out to Angie, and would do the same later with Peggy. I was quite nervous for this part, but Alex managed to talk me into it and keep my nerves from getting too bad by telling me another one of his classic stories, as I sat on his bed after we reviewed the plan.

"Things were pretty rough for me when I was growing up," he told me. He always held the little stuffed lion against his chest when he told me stories about his past. I assumed it was a comfort thing for him, while he reflected on old memories, "I wasn't really liked by a lot of kids who lived near us. Most of them had parents who were more well off than mine were, and they made fun of me for it. For being so small and never having enough food, for my dirty clothes, for anything they could find,"

"My mother knew all these things. She often became upset when I would tell her about how the other kids were treating me badly. She told me that she wished, she wished so badly that she could provide me a life that was more similar to the one that they had been given,"

"But then there was one day, one day when I was probably around 9 years old that she told me that she had a surprise. Sitting on the kitchen counter was a new shirt and a pair of shorts. I was so excited," he smiled to himself, recalling the moment in his head. He took a breath before he continued.

"Then she said, 'go, Alexander, get dressed. There is another surprise waiting for you.' So I went and changed out of my old, torn clothes and into the new ones. They felt so nice, I can still imagine the new cloth against my skin. I felt so good, I could finally fit in a little better with the other kids." He said.

"What was her next surprise?" I asked, wanting the story to go on. Alex really had a way with telling stories, a talent that made you cling to every last word and beg for what was next.

"She brought me to a restaurant I had never seen before. We had to walk forever to get to it, but we got there. And she told me to order whatever I wanted. So I did. I was so hungry, I had to skip so many meals back then because we just never had any food in the house. And I don't mean like, no food in the sense that it was just food that no one liked and didn't cook. I mean, really, no food at all. Completely empty." He said. That explained his tendency to skip meals, especially when visiting one of us. He was used to going hungry, used to letting other people have more and him having none at all.

"Anyway - we ordered our food and I ate so much that I almost got sick after. I was ravenous, eating every last scrap because I would feel awful if anything went to waste. And then we left the restaurant and went to the beach, the way we did together all the time. And we sat on the sand together in silence for a while before she took my hand. She told me, 'Alex, don't let the others words upset you. I know things are tough sometimes, but someday, I know you'll have it all. And you'll look back and realize how far you've come.'" He held the lion closer to his chest and sucked in a shaky breath.

"She was right," he laughed, "I came so far. Distance wise and as a person. I started a new life and succeeded in it. It was a good life that I created for myself." He finished. I nodded, not even considering his use of the past tense when he said it was a good life.

We talk for a little while after he finishes his story, just about the end of the school year, everything that's been going on lately. He gives me updates about John and I tell him about Maria. It's great watching him talk about John. He always gets this little smile on his face, and his eyes look so pure and full of joy and love. They're so perfect for each other.

Soon enough, it's starting to get late enough where I need to get back to Maria so we can both have some time to get ready for the date tonight. I stand up and give Alex a hug, lingering for a moment. He hugs back and gives me a little kiss on the head.

"I'll see you later, Alex. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you." I smile at him, pulling away from our hug. He smiles a little bit back, an unreadable expression etched on his face.

"Bye, Liza. Hey, I love you, you know that? You're the best friend anyone could ask for." He said, squeezing my hand. I smile and squeeze back.

"Love you too, Alex. And no one can be better than you." I said, waving at him as I opened the door and began my walk back to Maria.

a/n: next chapter will be marliza date fluffff