Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Zana, we did it!" Agnes says as everyone starts climbing into their cots after dinner.

"I knew we could do it," I say trying to hide my exhaustion.

I've never been thrown around like that and my body is finally recovering, the way my skin crystalized in odd patches made it difficult for me to properly release the energy, but I am still thankful for the incident because every new twist and turn is a way for me to grow to become a stronger hero.

"I'm sure T will be ecstatic to see how smoothly everything went," Agnes says smiling at me, she looks pale.

"Agnes, are you feeling alright?"

"A weekend like this is just hard on an old woman like me," Agnes says, and I chuckle.

"You are so full of it, go home and get some rest," I say, and I can tell she is thankful for my order.

I finish cleaning everything up and the night shift comes in and I let them know how everything went before dragging my exhausted body home. I really should go out and do rounds tonight but I really can't get up from the couch. Every bone in my body is achy and sleep quickly consumes me until the front door opens.

"T?" I ask confused and I hear a chuckle.

"Go back to sleep Zana," T's soothing voice says, and I lay back down. For a moment I almost feel as if there is a third person in the room, but when my eyes adjust, I don't see anyone around.

Getting up early the next morning I make morning rounds instead and find police scattered along the main road. I can see a few dead bodies on the ground and a sick feeling quickly consumes me. Watching from the shadows I watch as they work until a tap on my shoulder knocks me out of my stupor.

"Aegis?" The cop asks me, and I stand there silently.

"Did you see what happened last night?" He asks me softly and I look to the ground.

"I didn't make my rounds last night, I was exhausted from a fight with Viro," I respond quietly.

"Have you had any luck tracking him?" He asks me, glancing over at the crime scene. They wouldn't be asking me if they weren't struggling to find him themselves.

"No, I can't get a hit on him, and when I do, I'm hitting a wall. I can't track him, he always gets the best of me, but his weapons are equipped with abnormal bullets, that's why I stepped in that day. I didn't know it at the time, but when I was pulling the bullets from my bra later on; I could tell they were special. I have nothing on that man except that he is hell-bent on hurting that one scientist," I say frustrated and the officer jots some of that down.

"How many times would you say you've encountered him?"

"Four or five? They're all starting to blur together... If I get anything on him, I'll call it in to you guys. I know when I'm out of my league," I admit as the last fight crosses across my mind. The aches in my body remind me of how far out of my league I really am.

"We did run some tests of the stray bullets and they were covered in Pheasium, the metal he stole months ago," the officer says quietly.

"He's playing games with all of us," I grumble, and the officer nods.

"Thank you, Aegis, for everything. I know the police force is split on having a hero running around but we are severely understaffed and incredibly overworked, I am thankful for any help we can get," the officer says.

"I'll protect this city until the day I die, it's my home," I say with conviction and my attention is drawn to another officer walking over.

My blood freezes as I stare at the officer approaching. Why do I know that face? Where have I seen this man before? He barely acknowledges me as he asks the other officer questions and then it hits me. A flash from the hospital room. The man sat down on my bed and told me there was nothing he could do to help me; the man didn't exist legally, and they had no leads on him. They told me I would be put into foster care, but that they couldn't and wouldn't pursue my case. Fire burns through my veins and I step away from the man and turn on my heel and run.