Pups Get Skunked

A retelling of Season 3 Episode 20A in which Everest got skunked while looking for bayberries. Marshall is shown to be somewhat allergic to skunk smell and gets sneezy whenever he gets a whiff of Everest's skunked fur. However, in this story, I'm going to take a more realistic approach. Marshall will be severely allergic to skunk smell and their innocent trip would take a dark turn.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was a fine sunny morning in Adventure Bay and the pups found themselves hiking on Jake's mountain to find bayberries.

"Everest, is the bayberry really Jake's favorite berry of all time?" Marshall asked excitedly.

"Yup!" Everest answered happily. "And whoever finds it will be his favorite pup of all time."

"It's a bummer that they're not ripe for more than a couple of days a year," Zuma said from in front of them.

The husky frowned a bit in thought. "That's why we have to find them fast."

Everyone looked around and saw nothing but bushes. Everest sniffed the air and went bounding towards one direction, prompting others to follow her.

"Find anything, Everest?" Marshall called out to her.

"I think so," Everest called back. "Hold on."

A ruffling of the bushes caught her attention and she looked to find a bushy tail disappearing in the leaves.

"Hey, what's a cat doing here?" she asked aloud in curiosity before going to follow the creature.

Everest called out for the 'cat' as she looked between the bushes for the said creature, only to realize that she was not following a cat, but rather a skunk. It was too late when she realized that, however, as she ended up getting sprayed by the skunk.

The husky coughed and spluttered a bit, but the smell didn't really bother her. However, she was disappointed that she didn't see any sign of the bayberry bushes.

Everest made her way back to the others who coughed and cringed when they caught a whiff of her fur. Marshall even sneezed hard when she went closer.

"What?" the husky asked in confusion.

Zuma continued to cringe away from her. "Dude, what's that gnarly smell?"

"I ran into a skunk, no biggie," Everest replied casually before pointing in a different direction. "Let's keep looking! I say we go that way."

"Uhh... okay. But maybe you should have a bath first?" Rocky said uncertainly.

Everest giggled and went closer to the mixed breed. "Rocky, since when did you start caring about baths?"

Rocky gulped and took a few steps back to give space between the two of them. "It's just...you might wanna wash the spray off before it sticks."

"I'll rinse in the creek later. For now, we have berries to find," the husky replied before dashing off, leaving six bewildered pups behind.

"So..." Chase said, looking at the other pups who were rubbing their noses in disgust. "I'm guessing that it's bothering us more than it's bothering her."

"We should totally find those berries as fast as we can," Zuma said.

Chase agreed and they dashed after Everest, Rocky having to drag a sneezing Marshall forward.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They've been searching for quite some time now, and the others already couldn't stand Everest's smell. They've developed coughing fits or in Marshall's case, sneezing fits.