11. First Job

"Does it still hurt?" asked the woman who was driving beside me. The sky grew darker above us.

I shook my head. "A lot less. Thanks for helping me last week, Jane."

"No problem. Not a few people were injured in this business anyway," she said without turning away from the street. "But the injuries those people got were not the result of confronting Stef. This is the first time I've seen anyone dare to defy him directly since I work in this industry."

After that person threw me on the bed, I was unable to move at all. My whole body is in pain. My tears were still flowing silently from the deep pain I felt both outside and inside. No sobs, no sniffles. The pain increased in every little movement I made.

The bedroom door opened. A woman can be seen standing the doorway. An adult woman with brown hair, maybe not far from Elena's age. She approached me and looked at my whole condition with concern, she seemed to already know what caused it.

"What are you doing here? More precisely, what have you done to earn that wounds?" Her blue eyes glued to my face, which had a lot of bruises on.

I did not answer, just grimaced in pain while holding the lower right part of my chest. It was throbbing so painfully. As if Stef was still pressing his hand and foot against it.

"Wait a minute." She ran off somewhere

A few minutes later she came back with a plastic bag of ice cubes. And this time she was not alone. An elderly woman stood beside her, carrying a sizable iron box and a basin filled with water. She was the same person who carried my suitcase and bag earlier. She opened the metal box to take out medical gloves and put them on.

"Can you sit down?" asked that middle-aged woman.

I nodded, and tried to slowly lift my body up. She put a pillow for me to lean against the wall. She soaked cotton and started to clean the blood off my face. She then compressed the bruises and swelling on my face with a cloth soaked in cold water.

"Do you feel light headed?" she asked again. I nodded, again.

She took out a medicine tablets from the box and gave it to me. "Take this one after a meal," she instructed.

After noticing my hand that was constantly glued the bottom part of my chest, she lifted my shirt up; revealing red bruises that painted my skin. She sighed at the sight right before her eyes, then pressed gently on the bruised area which made me groaned.

"Try to take a deep breath and turn your waist."

I tried to do what she instructed me. I took a deep breath slowly and turned my waist even though it hurt so badly.

She took a plastic bag of ice cubes and then put it to compress on the bruised skin. "You're lucky your ribs didn't break. Compress the aching part and reduce excessive activity. Take this painkillers to ease the pain."

I could only nodded. "Thank you very much," I said weakly.

"My name is Gianna. If the the pain won't subside, come to me. My room is at the end of this hall."

"And because of that, I want to thank you. You have represented me. You also became the trending topic for beating up one of his bodyguard, you know that? I'm curious. How did that happen?" she asked enthusiastically.

I told her about what happened, but I left out some things. I didn't tell her what Stef said to me that day.

"I wish I had such courage."

I chuckled. "Yes, that courage also left me bruises all over my body and nightmares every night. So much for the bravery act." My brain wandered on the events of that day and the scars that were left as a result. The day after that day, I couldn't move my whole body because of the pain. Luckily Gianna gave me that painkiller. Jane, my roomate, helped me a lot all day long. I'm so lucky to have her as a roommate.