Chapter 5 - What have I gotten myself into? | Olivia

Start from the beginning

"Don't be silly, he can't do that, you're too valuable. You played great by the way, that ball you caught straight after.." Something that feels like regret starts building in me. I want to hurt dad but not if Dax might be off the team for it. I don't get to finish my sentence because Dax interrupts me.

"Stop stalling, why did you tell him we are together?!" he starts sounding angry at my poor attempt to change the subject. I take a deep breath and look at him.

"I panicked. I know it was not the best lie but I could clearly see the anger in him and I can't afford him thinking that I am this desperate jersey chaser" I mentally pat myself on my shoulder for my quick thinking.

"Why does that matter, we were only talking and I thought you didn't give a crap of what anyone else thought of you?"

"He clearly thought we were doing more than talking by the look of his face and yes I don't care but.. he.. I.." I stumble for the right words as I have to find a nice finish for this lie "... he has a say in this assignment I am doing for the team and will report back to my professor with his thoughts about my professionalism and if he thinks I am busy chasing the 'clients' in the wrong way my grade will go down the drain" I give myself one more mental clap. I can see Dax is thinking my about the validity of my lie over in his head.

"But why do we have to be a couple?" he asks when he is done thinking.

"Because if it was something established before I got the assignment I don't look desperate and my grade is saved" I am a bit scared how easy the lie rolls off my tongue but now is not the time to psycho analyze it.

"Why is it so important? I am sure he can't fail you based on that assumption?"

"I am going to be able to use this course on my CV and anything below an A is not going to cut it, I need this if I want to be able to get a decent first job" he looks at me with understanding written all over him. Today's market is hard to establish yourself in for anyone that doesn't have a ten year experience, even when it comes to the entry-level jobs.

"Oh my god, I can't believe I am considering this.. But you hate me?" He ends his sentence with a huge sigh.

"No, I stopped hating you a while ago, I just don't respect you" I say as a matter of fact and as soon as the last words left my mouth I regret them a bit. He flinches at the harshness of my answer.

"Oh yee, thanks. That's way better than hate.." He says highly laced with sarcasm ".. you are really not making a great case for yourself" he finishes with. I know that was harsh of me and maybe unnecessary but I blame that on him since he is the reason I can't keep my thoughts straight around him.

"Sorry, but please I really need this" I beg him and he looks like he is considering it.

"So.. I don't tell on you and we just pretend to break up when we get home?" he asks sincerely and I feel a rush of panic. We cannot 'break up' when we get home, that ruins my plan of revenge.

"My plan was more in the line of we get home, you don't tell on me, we continue to date a little longer and then break up" I carefully say and try to make my best puppy dog face to make him warm up to the idea.

"Are you crazy?!" Not exactly the reaction I hoped for but could be worse. It wasn't a flat out 'No' at least.

"Oh come on, there must be something I can do for you in return? It will look better if we stick together for a little while longer" he looks at me like I am an alien for a few seconds before he recovers.

"I can't believe I am saying this but on two conditions; one, I need you to come home with me once and help me with one thing" he waits for me to nod a yes, then he continues ".. two, you forgive me once and for all" I mull it over for a second before I respond.

"One, yes I will help you with that, two, I will be open for an apology.." I can see him starting to protest but I shush him and continues".. I will, honest to God, take any apology into serious consideration, when we have 'broken up'" I stand by my words and think it is a fair counter offer.

He seems to think that too and offers his hand for me to shake. He looks me straight in the eyes and mumbles "deal, shake on it" and I put my hand in his. The second we make contact it feels like a buzz goes up my arm as his large hand enfolds my small hand and shakes on it.

My eyes fall on the intricate dragon starting on his hand and moving up his muscular arm in what looks like a desperate way. Along his whole arms is different artwork beside the dragon and it goes all the way up to his shirtsleeve. I think I can spot something appearing under his shirt collar but I am not able to see what it is.

"So I guess it is a truce then?" I look up at him and a smug smirk is once again plastered on his face thinking he caught me staring. A small blush breaks out on my cheeks but I don't let it take hold on me and I only mumble back "truce" to him in confirmation.

What in the world have I gotten myself into and more importantly, how am I going to sell this to Ella and Mariam?