Chapter 5

When we finished training, we now have our individual assessment. We go in one by one to show off what we can do. I'll be going 3rd after Gloss. We're in the waiting room, I'm sitting by Cato. I'm so excited, I want them to know I'm the best. They call my name over the speakers. I walk through the doors to the training room. I see all the sponsors sitting up above.

  "Clove Kentwell, District 2" I say.

  "Ahh yes Clove, ready to show us what you got?" Plutarch Heavensbee says.

  "Yes sir" I say firmly.

  I walk over to the knives and grab a bunch. I first throw 3 knives at the targets and they all hit the dead center. I look over to see if they are watching, seems they can't take their eyes off me. Which in my case is good. I turn back around and throw three more knives and hit the heart of the targets. Then I go back in front of the sponsors. They dismiss me and I leave. As I'm walking down the hallway, Cato passes my and I wink. He smiles. I go back to our apartment and wait.
  After about 15 minutes Cato comes walking in. I look over at him.

  "Did you do well?" I ask part of me knowing the answer.

  "Yeah, they seemed to like me."

  "Well that's good. The more sponsors the better." I say.

  We just relax for around 2 hours then they had finished. Our escort tells us its almost time to see our scores. I move over to the couch along with Cato and Enobaria. The tv turns on and Caesar Flickerman was announcing the scores. Gloss, 9, Glimmer 7, Cato 10, Me, 11. The second we heard this we celebrated. I got the highest score! This should reflect well on our district. A few moments later they started to announce district 12. I wanted to see how badly Katniss did.

  "Now from District 12 Katniss Everdeen with a  score of 11."

  "NO!" I stand up and yell.

  "Clove calm down." Cato says.

  "NO no, this is unacceptable!"

  I was outraged at this. How could 12 tie my score. That is not fair! When we get in the arena she is going to pay. Ill make sure of that.

  Our escort told us its time for dinner to celebrate our scores. I told her I couldn't eat. So I went up to my room and lay down on my bed. Tomorrow we have our stupid interviews, I don't know why they are so important I just want to get in the arena already. Its late so I should probably get some rest.
  I keep trying to fall asleep but I can't. So I get up and take a walk around the apartment. I go lean on the window sill. Looking down at the Capitol. When suddenly I hear a creak. I look over at the entrance. I see Cato standing there.

  "Oh hey, you scared me." I say a little alarmed.

  "Sorry." He says with a little laugh.

  "Why are you up?" He asks.

  "Couldn't sleep you?"

  "Me either."

  I look out the window.

  "Do you think they'll let two tributes win like last year?" I ask.

  "Maybe, and maybe not."

  "I just don't want to lose you. You have been a great friend to me."

  "Clove you're not gonna lose me. We will find a way to make it out alive."

  "You promise?"

  "We're a team, I promise, together?"

  "Together."

  I get up and go back to my room and fall asleep.

  In the morning we head to our stylists. We have to get ready for our interview. They put my hair up in some weird capitol hairstyle. Then they did my makeup. I didn't particularly like this but I guess it will make the sponsers like me. 
  When I finished I went over to my stylist. I saw my dress, it was beautiful. I put it on and it fits perfectly. It is peach colored with different shades, it flows to the ground. The top is strapless, this dress isn't as bad as my last one. My last dress was like pink and ugh I hate pink.
  Once I walked out of the room I went to get in line for the interviews. I waited in this line for a while now. These tributes are taking so long.
   Glimmer waltzes out on to the stage, I could tell they were trying to make her look sexy. With her blonde hair and slim waist. Just disgusting, I don't even know how that brainless barbie won the games.
  He calls Gloss and I'm next. I just wanna get to the games already so I can get back home. I cant believe I'm competing again I literally fought for my life the last time.

  "Please welcome Clove!" Caesar yells.

  I zoned out for a second, I pick up my skirt, to not trip and walked onto stage looking fierce. I sit down and Caesar asks me some questions.

  "Clove how does it feel being back here?"

  "I honestly don't love it."

  "And why is that, Your one of the Capitols' favorites."

  "I was promised a better life and now you want to ruin it again?"

  After I said that he seemed offended. He pretended I didn't say that.

  "So have you kept your knife skills sharp? Haha" He asks.

  "Yes Caesar, I could kill you from clear across this stage." I say getting angered.

  Caesar looks over as if sizing out the 40ft stage.

  "Well, very impressive." He says awkwardly.

  "I see you scored an 11 for your assessment." He asks changing the subject.

  "Yes I did."

  "Now how did you do that?!" He asks.

  "I can't tell you that Caesar. That's between me and the game makers." I respond.

  "Oh alright. Now do you have someone special back home?" He asks.

  "Not really." I lie.

  "Well that's a shame."

  "Sadly that's all we have hope to see you back for your victors interview!"

  "Oh I'll be back, you can bet on that." I say as I walk off the stage.

  I hope I scared some of the other tributes.

  I wait backstage and watch Cato's interview.

  "So Cato how are you this fine day?" Caesar asks.

  "I'm good, thank you Caesar." Cato says.

  "I heard you volunteered?"

  "Yeah."

  "Why did you volunteer?"

  "Well I-"

  "Were you trying to impress a girl?" Caesar asks.

  "Oh sadly no."

  "Come on, I know that look."

  "I wouldn't say that exactly. I don't even think she likes me."

  "Well by winning again you'll get her attention."

  "Winning won really help me.''

  "And why is that?"

  "Because she came here with me."

  Did he mean me? Does Cato like me? It cant be, he must be putting on a show for the sponsers right? He only likes me as a friend I know that.

  "I wanted to be by her side and if I have to die for her, then so be it." Cato says.

  "Well that's just sad luck. And sadly that's all we have time for."

"Yeah, thanks." Cato says as he walks off stage.

  He walks right past me looking me in the eyes. I followed behind back to our apartment. Once we get inside I ask him.

  "Did you mean that? Or was it just for the sponsers?"

  Don't forget to vote and comment! I'm bad at making the chapters last long and stay on topic please let me know what i can do.