Chapter Forty-Two ♡

Alex's POV

"Did Lafayette and Hercules really tell you what happened?" I questioned.

(Y/N) nodded. "It was... twisted and unexpected," (Y/N) answered.

"I will never understand it, honestly," I continued, shaking my head. "There was really no need for any of it." 

I was grateful (Y/N) finally knew the truth. We could finally start to move on from this whole mess and get back to at least somewhat of a norm. As long as Herc and John could finally hold a decent conversation, we'd be in the clear.

"Do you think we should talk about this all together?" I asked after a moment.

(Y/N) nodded. "Obviously. I don't know when we'll all be in the same room together again but whenever that is, we really gotta talk things through."

"Tell me about it. John and Herc still can't be in the same room though apparently."

It was silent for a bit, finally broken by (Y/N) sighing and shaking her head. "I just- I don't get it. I don't understand why or how he'd do all that; it's so far from him."

"That makes two of us, love," I told her. "Laf too though; I thought he'd realize what Herc was saying and not side with him."

(Y/N) gave me a confused look, which confused me. "What? What's with the look?"

"I.. wasn't talking about Herc or Laf?" she answered after a moment. "Where'd you get that from?"

"Umm... from the whole situation? Y'know, Herc making assumptions and him and Laf shutting John and I out?" I responded. What was happening?

(Y/N) shook her head again. "That's not what they told me."

I was momentarily stunned. If they hadn't told her the truth, what did they tell her? Suddenly, my suspicions came back full-force. I knew I had them for a reason.

After quickly collecting myself, I looked at her. "Then what did they tell you?"

"Said John got really possessive after I was, well, unconscious," (Y/N) explained. "And that he'd gotten pissed at you for "being the reason it happened" and at them for not doing anything. They also added that he said he'd break up with the three of you to keep me safer and whatnot."

I was once again stunned. Some of that was right, but the rest was just straight-up twisted. Sure, they might've told her part of the truth, but they were painting John to be the bad guy of this. Why?

"Did they say anything else..?" I asked after a moment.

"Pretty much that John was just being really hostile. Which... is weird to me. John rarely gets hostile. But, also that he..." (Y/N) trailed off.

She didn't have to continue for me to have a feeling on what she was about to say. The idea made my blood start to boil. "That John..."

"That he slapped Herc. For trying to get him to stop being so aggressive."

Okay, what the f*ck?

"Do you believe that?" I responded.

"I don't know, Lex," (Y/N) admitted. "I can't even remember a time where John's so much as raised his voice at one of us, so to hear that he broke a promise and slapped Herc? It's just... I don't know. But, why would Herc lie about something like that? That's really serious sh*t."

"(N/N)..." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I don't even know where to begin."

"Why would John apparently--"

"Do you really think I slapped him, chickadee?"

Both of us were promptly startled by a new voice near the door. Looking over, our South Carolinian boyfriend was leaning against the wall. We hadn't even heard him open and close the door.

John's expression was neutral and calm, but behind the facade, I realized he clearly felt both betrayed and heartbroken. For him to hear that (Y/N) nearly thinks he hit our own boyfriend...

"Do you?" His voice wavered slightly, and I felt a pang in my heart.

(Y/N) looked at her lap, clearly torn between answers. "I..." She fell silent.

What the hell had this turned into?

i like playing with y'all. sorry not sorry-

it gets better i promise, you just have to get through more lowkey angsty drama first lol. but if it ever just feels too ridiculous or whatnot, do tell me bc i can find a new way to go about things. sometimes it feels like my book is everywhere and i don't want that yknow-

also also sorry this is shorter than normal, y'all probably know at this point i'm a sucker for cliffhanger-esque sh*t tho whoopsies

i'll cya next chapter ;)

~ Galaxy