Chapter Twenty-Five ♡

~ the next day ~

Herc's POV

John and Alex had gone to work a few hours ago, so Laf and I decided to go to the hospital by ourselves. When we got into the building and to the hall where (Y/N)'s room was, we were stopped by voices in her room.

Laf and I looked at each other, confused. I knocked on the door, and it was opened after a moment by Doctor Wilkins.

"I'm sorry, but you can't come in," she informed hurriedly.

"Wait, what's going on," I asked, "is she okay?"

"I'll explain after." Click.

"C'mon, c'mon!" I heard Doctor Wilkins exclaim.

"What the 'ell is going on?" Laf muttered.

"I don't know, babe," I responded.

We walked over to some chairs, sitting down.

Ding!

I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

Messages
Johnny: Hey babe, just wanted to check in. Anything new?

I swiped the notification, unlocking my phone.

Herc: Nothing new, but...

Johnny: But...

Herc: We're at the hospital, but Doctor Wilkins won't let us in her room. We just hear a lot of voices and I don't know why

Johnny: Oh god... I hope she's alright

Herc: Me too sweetheart. I'll keep you updated okay? And I'll tell Laf to keep Lexi updated

Johnny: Okay. Thanks babe

"Clear!"

My head snapped up to the closed door, stomach twisting into anxious knots. My heart dropped when I realized the situation. They only said that when someone flat-lined and were trying to revive them.

I could see the rise in panic in Laf's dark eyes. "Non... non, non..."

I simply grabbed Laf's hand, and he held it tightly.

It felt like an eternity until I looked up when the door opened, seeing a surprisingly neutral-faced Doctor Wilkins.

"What 'appened?" Laf asked immediately.

"Well, there's good news and bad news," Doctor Wilkins started. "Bad news is, (Y/N) flat-lined, and it wasn't the first time. But the good news is we managed to revive her."

Both Laf and I sighed in relief, but I wasn't fully relieved. "She's flat-lined more than once?"

Doctor Wilkins nodded after a moment. "It happened the first time really early this morning; we were lucky to catch it. This is the second time, and Doctor Anderson and I are trying to figure out if the time she has on life support is decreasing."

"Do you think she still has two months on life support?" I asked.

"We don't know, but I think we can safely assume so."

~

The situation was still sinking in. I looked up when there was footsteps coming down the hall towards us.

"John? What're you doing here, sweetheart?" I asked.

"I had a feelin' you two would still be here. Besides, I wanted to see how things were goin'," John answered.

"Well, they're... they're..." How were we supposed to tell John (and Alex later) that (Y/N) flat-lined not only once, but twice?

Looking at Laf proved to show he was just at a loss for words as I was.

"They're.. what?" John spoke up after a beat.

"Err... we're not sure you want to know, amour," Laf responded hesitantly.

"Well, you two know. You can't just keep it from Alex and I." John sent us a somewhat pointed look.

His expression softened after a moment, but his body was still tense and rigid. "Is- did she..?"

I shook my head. "She's not dead.." I started, "she... she flat-lined though.."

Even from a short distance away, I heard John's breath catch. "A-And they revived her?"

I nodded slightly. "Twice. The second time happened almost right after I finished texting you."

John's hazel eyes were wide in what I presumed was anxiety, but even then I could tell he was trying to keep his old anger down. "S-She's died twice? How is she even alive?"

"Je ne... pardon... I do not know, amour," Laf answered.

"Is she stable?"

"We don't know. Nobody will let us in to see her," I replied.

"That's f*ckin' bullsh*t..." John muttered. "My beautiful girl.."

I felt my heart pang, but at the same time felt a flicker of something. But... what?

Jealousy? Was I jealous... of John? But why? John was our boyfriend, and (Y/N) was our girlfriend.

"She's also our..." I trailed off, looking away.

There was something behind John's voice I couldn't identify. "Our what, Herc?"

"Our... girlfriend too.."

John scoffed, then laughed tensely. "Do you think I don't know?"

"John, amour, 'erc is just trying to say--"

I looked up briefly to see John lift his hand, making Laf stop talking. "Do you think I don't know she's ours? I'm sorry, but talk to me when you've been stuck seein' her at her worst. Talk to me when you've seen her after almost gettin' raped twice, or the aftermath of her gettin' hit by a car, blood and everything. When you've saved her twice, and miss savin' her when she needs you the most, let me know. So I'm sorry if I'm nothin' but f*ckin' possessive in your eyes!"

John's hands dropped to his sides in tight fists, and he turned. Without another word, he started down the hall again, brushing right past a confused Alex.