A Nasty Little Concussion

*Unedited

Harper
"And I got ten weeks of talking bullshit on repeat
'till I'm burnt out and disappear."

"Hey! Take your hand away from my dog and turn around slowly." The young girl jumped at the sound of my voice and slowly took her hand away from Xena, her small feet turning her in a small, slow circle around to see us. Her hands trembled by her sides, tears welling in her emerald eyes. "Oh, honey," I let my hand drop away from my gun, approaching her slowly. "Do you need a hug?" She nodded slowly and ran toward me as I crouched, her arms holding onto me for dear life. I wrapped my arms around her small, frail body as she sobbed, Glenn eyeing the area around us to make sure it wasn't a trap.

After a little while, she pulled back, sniffing and wiping her eyes. "Are you hungry, sweetie?" I asked, she nodded again and I took her hand and walked with her toward the car. "I'll take to you meet my doggy, Xena. I think you met her a little earlier." A small, eager smile lit up her face as I opened the car door and Xena hopped out, immediately heading for the little girl who was an inch or two shorter than the dog. Xena sniffed her curiously and begun licking at her hands as she giggled, trying to hide her hands from Xena.

I unpacked my water bottle and a stale pack of cookies, handing her a cookie and taking one for myself as I handed her the water. "My name's Harper Rose, and that's my Lil' Bro, Glenn, what's your name?" She scarfed down her cookie and had a couple gulps of water before she spoke up.

"A-Alicia B-B-Bennet." I nodded, giving her a reassuring smile as I handed her another chocolate chip cookie, her beautiful green eyes lit up in the most adorable way.

"Alrighty, Alicia, are you alone, sweetheart?" She nodded.

"My mommy... she-she tried to bite me...s-so I ran away..." I nodded.

"That was the right decision, sweetie, you couldn't have done anything about it, it someone tries to hurt you, you stay away, run away, or you can ask someone you trust for help, okay, honey?" She nodded seeming more sure of herself as she ate, curiously watching Glenn who stood guard. "Alicia?" She turned and looked back at me, a silent question in her forest green eyes. "Do you want to come over to our house? We'll look after you, and It'll be just like a sleepover, in tents with a lot of other people around the fire. If we could snag a couple marshmallows we could toast them over the fire for you, how does that sound?"

Her eyes lit up. "Just like a camping trip?"

I grinned. "Just like a camping trip." I echoed. She giggled and reached for another cookie. I held out the packet for her and Glenn chuckled.

"Harpie, you literally only ate three hours ago." I stuffed a cookie in my mouth, and around my mouthful, covering my mouth with my left hand I answered him.

"I don't know what you're on about, Pizza God." He laughed and shook his head.

"Come on, Harpie, get in the car, we've got two more stops—the corner shop and the garage." I smiled at him as he got in the drivers seat, and Alicia, Xena and I all piled into the back.

We drove for awhile and eventually we found the corner shop, after Glenn's eyes missed it, twice, ending up with Alicia giggling like it was a comedy sketch. Glenn and I cleared it out of walkers before we left Xena to protect our car again and Alicia and I headed down to the comics and later the candy—that's what American's call it right?—aisles. I picked out a couple comics for Carl and Alicia watched curiously.