Settling In

"Why have I been making so many out-of-character decisions lately?" I wondered out loud as I folded yet another piece of clothing.

"Like, this is literally so unlike me."

I placed it in the suitcase neatly before zipping it shut.

"I feel like all my critical thinking skills are deteriorating, if not already deteriorated... with the way that I've been handling things."

Pulling the, now completely packed, suitcases down and off the bed, I lugged them towards the door along with my guitar case. I placed them outside before I turned around, glancing ferverently over the bare room to see if I had missed anything valuable. All that was left were my empty pots in the window sill, and a few utensils in the kitchen.

With a soft exhale, I turned back and closed the door, not bothering to lock it as I pulled on the straps of the trusty backpack on my shoulders.
Shaking my head slightly, I then made my way downstairs, where Happy was waiting in the ruins of the little cafe that had previously stood there.

"Is that all you're bringing?"

I looked up to see him staring at my luggage questionably and nodded, my eyes cast downward.

"That's all I need."

.

The car ride back to the Tower was just like the one to my place.
Silent.
I made no efforts to talk and neither did the stoic bodyguard. I was perfectly content with that though.
I liked to be left alone.

Night had fallen when we arrived, and as the vehicle came to a stop, Happy spoke up.
"Your belongings will be brought up to your room shortly."

I chose not to argue, instead thanking him before grabbing my guitar and bag.
These two things, I would carry on my own.

Briskly, I stepped into the warm atmosphere of the Stark Tower, the walk to the elevator almost second-nature by now.

"Um hello?" I called out with mild hesitation and the answer came immediately.

"Hello Miss. Salvatore, how may I be of assistance?"

"Uh, can you take me to Mr. Stark or Miss. Potts? Whoever is free at the moment."

"They are both in the dining hall. I've informed Boss of your arrival and he's awaiting your presence."

"Oh." I nodded. "Let's go then."

"As you wish, Miss. Salvatore." The British voice faded as the doors shut and the lift began moving.

Less than a minute later, I was walking on the marble tiles of Tony's exquisite home, instantly spotting the couple sat on a couch.

Pepper noticed me first, greeting me with her perpetual beaming smile.

"Aylin, you're here! Did you get everything?"

I resorted to simply nodding, shuffling on my feet, while my eyes flitted over to Tony who was hunched over and working on something.

"That's nice..." She then turned to the lounging man beside her. "Tony, will you show Aylin her room?"

Tony's head shot up before frowning in confusion. "What?"

She shook her head in exasperation as she repeated.
"Show Aylin her room."

"I'm a bit busy at the moment."

"You've been doing nothing but tinkering with that since the past hour."

"But Pep-"

"A break will do you good. You need to stretch your legs, your posture is awful." She cut him off, raising her eyebrows as she glanced him over.