36: I'm So Sorry

"It's alright," She laughed softly, giving his chest a light push, "Go ahead, Gaara. I can handle one night on my own."

"I know you can." He said with a small frown, placing his hands over hers, "I don't like changing plans on you."

"Your work is a little more important than cuddling," Momoko snickered, "Really, I'll be alright."

"If you're sure," Gaara sighed, then glanced over her shoulder into the house, "Lock your doors and windows tonight."

"I will!" She nodded, "Now go! You don't want to get yelled at."

"I'm the Kazekage," He replied, "Who's going to yell at me?"

"I will, if you keep it up." She snickered, and he smiled slightly at the sound of it.

He burshed a hand against her cheek and Momoko smiled as she leaned into the touch.

"I'll see you tomorrow, then," He said, his words low and his eyes a little tender.

She looked up at him, her smile warm and her gaze soft.

"Tomorrow," She replied with a nod, then stood on her toes to press a kiss to his lips. He returned it just as he always had and always would.

Momoko watched him walk down the stairs, how the setting sun hit the red of his hair and made it nearly glow. She couldn't quite place the feeling that had started to form in her heart; maybe it was a more tender form of love, or maybe it was something more akin to melancholy, but Momoko called out to him as he reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Gaara," He stopped at the last step, hand still on the railing, as he turned to look back up at her, "You're the love of my life,"

The words made him smile and the look in his eyes was made warmer by the setting sun. Right then he looked the happiest she had ever seen him, with tender eyes and the warm glow of the sun on his pale cheeks. It occurred to her that this may have been the most handsome that she had ever seen him; love looked wonderful on Gaara.

"And you're mine," He replied with all sincerity, and Momoko couldn't help the way her heart still fluttered for him even after all this time.

She watched him until he was just a red blur in the distance and until he was gone from sight completely, all the while leaning against the railing with a warm feeling inside of her.

It looked like tonight would be one of few that she spent alone. That was alright, she could handle one late night at the office. It had been nearly a month now since they had come home, and life had been nothing short of bliss. They were content to be in this new routine of working during the day, spending the nights together, and waking up side by side in the morning. The pair had made it a habit of going back to Gaara's house a few times a week to have dinner with his siblings, and on those nights Momoko would stay with him.

All in all, Momoko was the happiest she had ever been. Her shop was running smoothly, her boyfriend loved her as much as she loved him, she got on well with his siblings and they adored her as much as she adored them. Sakura had even started to write a little more often, even Naruto once or twice, and it was a nice addition to her days when she saw that she received a letter. It felt like everything was finally falling into place, and Momoko was thrilled to have such a wonderful life.

She spent most of the night just enjoying herself, reading through a botany book Gaara had gotten for her a few days ago. He had been on his way over to her house after work and saw it in the window of a shop, so he bought it just before they closed. Every time she opened the book, she smiled at the thought of who had given it to her in the first place.