21: Normal

As they planned, Gaara was waiting at the bottom of the staircase that led to her apartment above the shop at exactly 6pm. After getting over the initial excitement, Temari had gone through the entirety of his very boring wardrobe before deciding, reluctantly, that his usual crimson coat and grey vest were the safest option. They hadn't planned on anything too fancy, deciding on the same Yakiniku restaurant that she had treated herself to those few months ago. When she thought about it, it felt so strange that she had been here nearly half a year already. Time sure flies by when you were happy.

Just a few moments later, he heard the door open and saw her step out and lock the door behind her. She turned to him with a bright smile, her cheeks already pink, and came down the stairs towards him.

No matter how many times he saw her, she would always take him by surprise with how wonderful she looked. Her hair was woven into a long braid down her back and her makeup was light and natural. The dress she chose was a light pink with little white flowers spotting it here and there, and it hugged her upper half until flaring out at her waist. She smiled again at him, another one that made him go quiet for a moment.

"Are you ready?" She asked, hoping her voice wouldn't give away how nervous she was.

He only nodded, afraid that he may have also come across as anything less than collected, and offered her his arm to take. The gesture made her cheeks go darker, but the smile on her lips widened and she wasted no time in taking it. This time, no sand even tried to keep her away, and they set out for their destination.

"Have you been here before?" Momoko questioned as they walked, less conscious of the looks that people sent their way. It wasn't every day that the Kazekage was out with a lady on his arm, but she was too focused on him to care.

"Once," He said, glancing down at her for just a moment before back up again, "When they first opened. I try to visit new shops when I can."

"And here I felt special," She teased lightly, and a small smile came to his lips.

"You're the only flower shop I've been to," He replied, then added, "If that helps."

"It does," She hummed, and the smile didn't leave his face for a while longer.

When they arrived at the restaurant, the hostess almost dropped the menus in her hand when she saw the Kazekage standing in front of her. They were seated immediately in a more secluded part of the restaurant, one that was a little quieter and allowed them to hear each other better. Usually Gaara wouldn't accept the special treatment but just for tonight, he let it slide. Someone was at their table as soon as they were seated, welcoming them in and asking their drink orders. After a brief talk they decided on waters and a bottle of sake to share.

"Does that ever bother you?" She asked once the server left them, moving so quick she hardly got a chance to thank him.

"Does what bother me?" He asked, looking over the menu in front of him.

"You know, people hurrying to serve and pamper you." She said with a shrug, already knowing what kind of meats and vegetables she wanted.

"Sometimes it does," Gaara admitted, then sat the menu down to turn his attention to her, "Kankuro cares for it more than I do, I'm afraid."

Momoko snickered, "That doesn't surprise me at all."

The server was back with their waters and sake, then took their orders with an eagerness that almost made Momoko's head spin. He was gone almost as quickly as he came, and Momoko was determined to thank him the next time around.

Gaara poured them each a small cup of the sake, and Momoko thanked him as she took hers. They had had meals together hundreds of times, so why did this one make her so nervous? She tried not to let Gaara notice that she drank nearly half of her cup with one sip. By no means did she want to get absolutely wasted on their first date- the term first date bounced in her head- but they did call it liquid courage.