27: Back In Konoha

A/N: So just a heads up, I'm going to be upping the rating on this story. I'll note at the beginning of each chapter when there's mature content!

-----

When the gates of Konoha came into view, Momoko felt her heart beating wildly in her chest. That excitement only grew as they came closer, and two blurs of pink and yellow became visible. Momoko held tighter to Gaara's arm, the excitement so fierce that it nearly made her bounce with every step. Finally, when they grew close enough, Gaara let her go and gestured her forward with a small smile. She wasted no time in taking off, meeting Sakura just in front of the gate.

Being in Sakura's arms would always feel like home. She held on tightly, the girl's laughter nearly drowned out by the happiness Momoko felt right then. From the sweetness of her perfume to the feeling of her embrace, Momoko's eyes grew glassy with the weight of just how much she had missed her friend. It had been nearly five months since they had seen each other, and Momoko felt every moment of that distance as she held her now.

"I've missed you so much," Sakura breathed against her, and Momoko could tell by the tone of her words that she also had tears in her eyes.

Momoko finally pulled back just enough to look at her, not stepping entirely from her embrace just yet. She was the same as ever, beautiful and soft and as excited to see her as Momoko was. It was a face she had loved all her life and a face she would love for the rest of it.

"I've missed you too," She laughed, ignoring the happy tears that now fell, "More than I can say."

"No way!" A loud voice boomed from behind Sakura, "Gaara!"

Momoko looked over her friend's shoulder to the blonde boy, who's eyes were wide with excitement and grin taking up nearly half of his face. Gaara must have caught up to her after giving the wagon to a few Konoha ninja who had already been at the gate, and she watched as Naruto moved past both girls to get to the man behind her.

She was almost afraid when Naruto hugged the other so tightly he lifted his feet from the ground, but was relieved to see nothing but fondness in Gaara's eyes. He even smiled, though his arms stayed tight to his sides.

"It's good to see you, old friend." The Kazekage said as Naruto finally sat his feet back on the ground.

"Momo didn't tell us you were coming!" The blonde laughed, pulling his arms away from him, "I could have planned to have a guys night for us!"

Gaara was in high spirits being near his friend again, and Momoko saw it in the way he looked at the blonde and kept a small smile on his lips. She turned her attention back to Sakura, who had been looking her over with bright eyes.

"Look at you!" Sakura laughed, standing back from her sun-kissed cheeks and spotted shoulders, "You're so tan! And look at all these freckles!"

"Thank you!" Momoko giggled, fixing the ponytail her hair had been pulled into, "Suna looks pretty good on me, huh?"

"I'll say!" Naruto spoke up beside her, his grin a little brighter than a moment ago, "It's good to see you, Momo!"

She glanced back at Gaara, who's eyes seemed to go just a little cooler as Naruto suddenly swept her into his arms with the same hug he had given Gaara. Momoko laughed a little awkwardly, patting his shoulder as he sat her down.

"It's good to see you too, Naruto," She said, her words a little sheepish.

The blonde opened his mouth to say something else, but Sakura beat him to it. She had already greeted Gaara and had turned her attention back to Momoko.