34: A Long and Happy Life

After dinner had been eaten and thoroughly enjoyed, the real party began. The music that the live band played was a little old-fashioned, with a beautiful piano and a singer who had a voice of velvet. It was classy and reminded her of the old records her parents would play in the shop. The song right now was upbeat, the kind you tapped your toes to, and after a few too many drinks, Momoko stood from her chair with flushed cheeks and determination in her eyes.

"You guys wanna dance?" She asked the rest of the table, and Temari offered her a smile as she stood as well.

"I'm not very good at it, but I'll give it a shot." Maybe it was because she liked Momoko, or because she too had one too many glasses of champagne, but she let the other blonde girl take her hands and pull her to the dance floor.

"We're gonna have to carry those two home," Kankuro snickered, taking a bite of his second plate.

Gaara nodded in return, but there was a fond look in his eyes as he watched the two girls laugh over their clumsy steps.

"They're enjoying themselves," The Kazekage commented, taking a sip of his own drink.

Kankuo hummed in return, "Can't blame them- who knew weddings could be fun?"

"I think they're intended to be." Gaara replied, "The last one we went to wasn't as grand as this."

"Yours will have to kick this one's ass, though!" Kankuro grinned, "Can't let an old man like Daichi show you up."

"She's enjoying herself too much to let ours be anything less than a festival," He said, smiling slightly against his glass.

His words startled Kankuro for a moment, and Gaara looked up to see the baffled look in his brother's eyes.

"What?" Gaara asked, and Kankuro set his fork down.

"That's the first time you've ever entertained the idea," Kankuro said, and Gaara turned his eyes away again, "Something on your mind, buddy?"

Gaara watched the two girls, now holding each other's waist as they danced a silly little dance to the jazzy music. Despite the fact that they were both a little tipsy, it was clear they were having fun all on their own.

"It's...crossed my mind, lately." He admitted, a little quieter now, "Not any time soon, but maybe one day, I don't know..."

Kankuro watched his brother swirl the champagne in his glass, his brow knotted and eyes focused out to the dance floor. Despite the way his chest had grown a little tight, Kankuro offered him a smile and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I know you think you're not meant for these kind of things, but look how far you've come already!" He encouraged him, "Don't doubt yourself so much, Gaara. If you think you want something, you shouldn't hold yourself back from getting it."

Ironic, Kankuro thought, but he gave Gaara's shoulder a soft squeeze anyway. The Kazekage turned his eyes from the dance floor and back to his brother, who smiled his most supportive smile for him. As crude as Kankuro could be at times, Gaara appreciated these moments of sincerity.

"But don't rush yourself, okay?" Kankuro chuckled, taking his hand away again, "Just enjoy what you've got now, for as long as you can."

Gaara offered him a small smile in return, his eyes turning back to the girls as Kankuro let his smile falter for just a moment. Finally, the song had started to change to something a little slower, and the girls came back with flushed cheeks and wide smiles. Temari took her seat across from Gaara and Momoko turned her attention to him, offering him a pretty smile of her own. She held her hands out for him, and though he took them, he didn't stand.