17: Getting to Know You

A/N: So, I've decided to start updating this story twice a week. I've already written pretty far in advance, and at the rate I was going, this wouldn't be finished until another couple months. So, I'll now be posting a new chapter both Sundays AND Wednesday's.

Enjoy!

——

"What's your favorite color?"

He stared blankly at her before his eyes turned down to look at his food. Gaara seemed to think about it for a moment, then met her gaze again.

"Brown."

"Brown?" She repeated, "That's the most boring color in the world!"

"It's neutral," He defended.

Momoko let out a little hum and leaned back in her seat, taking  a bite of her rice as she did so. She had made herself comfortable in the chair across from his desk after she scooted it as close as she could to him. It almost felt like they were actually sitting across from one another at a real table. But this was no home or restaurant, this was just Gaara's office, and this was only lunch.

She had come with purpose, he learned almost as soon as she had taken a seat. Of course the main reason was just to enjoy lunch with a friend, but Momoko had expressed her desire to get to know him better. Of course they were friends, and since that day she came home they had grown more comfortable with each other. Gaara still had things to learn when it came to forming meaningful relationships with other people, as well as when it came to trusting someone enough to relax around them. It wasn't that he didn't trust her, he just didn't know how to talk to her sometimes. Luckily though, she was kind and patient, and filled in the spaces he left blank. Once Momoko had eased into their new friendship as well, Gaara found that she was more comfortable making light jokes and playful jabs at him. He didn't always know how to respond, but sometimes she would get a small smile out of him, and that was enough.

The desire to get to know each other better was what led them to where they were now: playing some little game that involved asking each other questions. She brought it up to him almost as soon as they started eating, just a silly exchange of questions to learn what may not come up in every day conversation. It was simple enough: one of them would ask a question and the other would answer (they were allowed to pass on questions they didn't want to answer, though) and then ask a question of their own. For the sake of not just repeating questions off of each other, they would answer the question they asked as well.

"I guess that's a good reason," She sighed, the playfulness clear in her words, "Brown  just doesn't suit you."

"What does suit me, then?" He asked, taking a drink of his tea as he watched her over the rim.

"Red would be cliche, wouldn't it?"

"Extremely." He said and the way the corners of his mouth tugged up was hidden behind his cup.

"We'll have to find you a better color to like," Momoko mused before adding, "My favorite color is yellow. It's bright, happy."

"That does suit you." He commented, and relished in the sight of the smile that came to her lips and the way her cheeks colored ever so slightly.

"I do believe it's your turn, Lord Kazekage."

He thought about it for a moment, mulling over the options. He wasn't really sure what to ask her, the possibilities seemed both endless and scarce. Gaara wasn't sure what was too personal or what was too superficial; what was appropriate and what wasn't?  His eyes landed on the bouquet of flowers in front of him. Momoko had brought them the morning before; she said they were called Cosmos, and they were a deep shade of magenta. The card that came with it had read 'I'll see you at lunch! Have a great day, Gaara!' At the bottom it was signed 'Your Friend, Momoko'. The first few times she brought bouquets she just signed her name at the bottom, but since their first lunch together she had started to add 'Your Friend'. The change was nice, and the tiny smile didn't leave Gaara's lips for a while after the first time he saw it.