Chapter 27

The bonding actually went pretty well. Henry seemed okay with me being around as his mother's girlfriend and after our talk, Roland seemed to handle it, as well.

Regina and I purposely weren't affectionate toward one another with the kids around, so for them it was as though having a regular friend of their mother's over.

I spent the entire day with them and Regina was now upstairs putting the children to bed. We'd played games all day and had a relaxed Saturday.

Graham had been rather unhappy with me not coming to work, but I promised to be there all Sunday, so he was okay with it.

He and I had become sort of friends as well in the past months. We even hung out outside of work once.

"They're asleep." Regina closed the door and joined me on the couch. "And they enjoyed your company. They took it much better than I'd expected."

I smiled and shrugged. "Perhaps I'm better with kids than I let myself believe."

Regina looked at me and grabbed my hand before she intertwined our fingers. She played with the ring on my finger, which I'd gotten from a friend a long time ago.

"Do you..." Regina looked intently at the ring before she inhaled deeply. "Do you ever regret giving up your child?"

I looked at her. Today had made me think of that. I never considered myself and I didn't think I ever would, but now that I'd spent an entire day with children, it was on my mind. I just hoped the boy was okay and happy somewhere.

But I never regretted giving him up. I thought about him from time to time, but I didn't regret it.

"No," I replied. "I don't regret it. I hope he's happy somewhere and.. if he showed up at my doorstep one day, I would like to get to know him. I think so, at least. But I don't think he'd be very happy with me."

Regina smiled slightly and nodded. "I don't know if you want to hear this, but I think you'd be an amazing mother. You were great with the kids."

"Thanks," I replied. I exhaled loudly, letting all the stress of the day wash away. It had been better than I expected as well.

Regina cupped my cheek and stroked my cheekbone with her thumb. "How was this for you? Are you still okay with being with me?"

I nodded. "Regina, they're great kids. I don't know how much of a mother figure I'm going to be, because I'm not good at mothering, but I love being with you and with them."

"Good," Regina said with a slight smirk and straddled my lap. Her lips moved closer to mine and she bit her lower lip. "Because I don't want to lose you."

She was about to kiss me, when I felt my phone vibrating. Regina looked confused up, as her phone received a notification as well.

I unlocked my phone and saw that I'd gotten a message from Belle. It was a picture of her and Ruby, Ruby wearing the engagement ring that Belle had shown me earlier today.

"They're engaged," I whispered softly and looked up at Regina before I typed a message to congratulate them.

"I'm so happy for them," Regina said and smiled brightly.

I looked at the picture showing the two joyful brunettes, who held each other tightly, eyes filled with love.

They had such a strong relationship and they'd kept believing in mine and Regina's.

~~~~

Regina's P.O.V.

The children had enjoyed Emma's company last week, so when I asked whether they wanted to see her again this Saturday, they happily agreed.