Chapter 5

"Husband? You're married?" Regina had abruptly stopped with walking and confusion with a hint of disappointment was written all over her face.

I knew I never should have told her this.

"No, I- I'm not," I confessed. I wasn't even wearing my ring anymore. I'd made that mistake the first date I went on and the guy had gone quicker than he came.

He hadn't been interested in "starting an affair" and wouldn't even listen to me, even though I was willing to tell him the thing that hurt me most in life.

"So, you're dating, but you have a husband, yet you're not married?" Her voice was laced with confusion and she'd closed her eyes.

I inhaled deeply and fumbled with my ring finger where my wedding ring used to be.

"My husband passed away two years ago," I confessed softly.

I really hadn't wanted to tell Regina this, but it seemed as though there wasn't another way to cheer the brunette up. She would've found out eventually.

"I still call him my husband and I know I shouldn't, but it still feels surreal. It's been two years and I feel ready to be with someone else again, but I don't think I'll ever be able to fully let him go." My voice broke and quickly wiped away a single tear that rolled down my cheek.

Regina didn't reply and just embraced me and let me cry. I felt stupid for crying in the hallway of the building. It was but the second time I saw her, yet I couldn't feel too stupid, because Regina's hugs were exceptional.

"I'm sorry," she whispered in my ear as her hands stroked my back, soothing me.

"No, it's my fault. I shouldn't have called him my husband, because he's not. He passed away and I have to live with that and I do, but at times, he just.. I don't know." I sniffled and wiped away my last tears before I pulled away. "Sorry for crying. I know it's weird, we've only seen each other twice."

Regina laughed softly and shrugged. "Emma, the reason we started talking last time is because we both wanted to cry in the bathtub. I won't judge you."

"Thanks."

"Do you still want to go to my place, eat popcorn and watch Netflix?" Regina asked. "I'd totally understand it if you-"

"Regina, that sounds like something I really need right now."

The woman laughed and hooked her arm in mine again as we continued walking.

We walked to her house and the entire way, we only talked about how absurd it was that Ruby and Belle thought we'd make a great couple, the same night we met.

She showed me the living room. "Make yourself comfortable. I'll get us something to eat and drink. What would you like to drink? Wine, tea, water?"

"Do you have white wine?" I questioned softly and Regina nodded.

"Surprisingly, yes. I usually don't drink white wine, but a friend of mine gave this to me, so you don't have a lot of choice in different wines, is that okay?"

"Yes. Thank you," I said and smiled. "I mean it, Regina. Thank you for everything."

"I haven't done anything." Regina seemed slightly confused, but I shrugged.

"Well, you're here and you understand me. I'm glad I met you."

"The feeling is totally mutual, Emma," Regina said and stroked my upper arm briefly. She left the room and came back, not much later, with two glasses and two bottles of wine, with a bag of popcorn between her teeth.