i. Percy Jackson Fanclub

Start from the beginning

"Take a picture, it will last longer," he said, lowering his sunglasses to the bridge of his nose and winking at her.

"I...uh, um," she blinked, "Uh, sorry, I, uh, didn't mean to stare, I promise! It's—that I've been sitting here for the past ten minutes and, uh, I didn't see you sit down, like, at all. So, you just surprised me, that's all."

"You're fine, don't worry," he chuckled reassuringly, putting away the sunglasses and earbuds he wore, and smiled at her.

Oh, shit. He was very cute. Like very cute. His smile was so sweet. Annabeth could feel her cheeks grow hot despite the cold early September air.

The busy streets of Manhattan filled the awkward silence between them and even though this would've been the perfect time for Annabeth to say goodbye, she awkwardly sat down on the bench.

"So, uh, do you perhaps go to Goode High School?" Annabeth nodded yes at his question and he beamed, "Oh, I do too! What grade are you in? I'm a senior."

"I-I am too," she answered and awkwardly chuckled, "Isn't it so surreal that we're graduating next year?"

"It definitely is surreal," he laughed and looked at her with a sheepish smile, "I'm sorry if we already met before, uh, but, um, what's your name?"

"We haven't met before," she smiled reassuringly and quietly chuckled, seeing the boy relax, "I'm Annabeth Chase! And you are...?"

"Percy Jackson," he grinned, "Nice to meet you, Annabeth."

Her eyes widened when she heard his name and she blurted out, "Percy Jackson?! Oh, you're the guy who won first place at the New York State swimming championships, right?"

"Yeah, that's me!" Percy shyly smiled, messing up his hair, then sighed, "I'm also the guy who the assembly this morning is about."

Annabeth furrowed her eyebrows at Percy who seemed bashful and she frowned, "Wait, you know about the assembly? Isn't that supposed to be a surprise...?"

"Yeah, uh, it is. However, I accidentally found it out from one of my friends," he explained sheepishly, "So, I'm just hoping that the acting skills I learned from 7th-grade theater are good enough to convince everyone."

A laugh erupted out of Annabeth and Percy smiled at her.

She raised an eyebrow and asked, "What are you doing out here then, Percy? School has started and everyone's probably waiting for you."

"Yes, I know. But, I, uh, texted my friends that I was running late, so, um, don't worry, " Percy said sheepishly, "I know you shouldn't lie, but I just...I dunno. I just really don't like being the center of attention. So, that's why I'm procrastinating going inside. I'll go in eventually but for now..." 

"That's understandable," Annabeth reassured, "I hate being the center of attention too."

The small smile on Percy's face was replaced by a frown and he furrowed his eyebrows, "Hey Annabeth, why haven't you gone inside yet? Is everything okay?"

Her smile faltered, "Yeah, everything is fine. I just don't want to go inside because...because it's all so new and unfamiliar to me and  I don't like it at all. I hate it. I don't know where anything is and I don't know anyone."

Her cheeks reddened when Percy softly said, "I know how you feel, I promise. I've attended at least five different schools in my life and I always dreaded the first day of school. But trust me, it'll get better. Hey, besides, you already do know someone: me!"

"Yeah, I guess," she laughed and Percy beamed.

"So, Annabeth, where did you move from?" he asked curiously.