The hidden spot

Chase POV-

Seeing Leah and Evangeline's mom in that condition, made me scared. I always knew that this man can do anything to harm others, but I never thought that he would treat his wife the same way.

Evangeline's mom told me to take Evangeline away to some safe place. I did exactly that. I hold her hand and ran from the hall.

I went upstairs with her following me. There is a small storeroom. We get in there. I lock the door behind us.

We sat on the far corner. She was sitting beside me. I looked at her. She was sobbing hard and was calling for her mom again and again.

In the end, she is just a kid. I hate it that she has to see all those painful things.

I didn't know what to do so I pulled my sleeve down and hold it in my hand. I turned towards her and wiped her tears.

I patted her head to calm her down. Now her sobs turned into just hiccups.

"They will be okay and I will protect you." I said as confidently as I could.

I don't know if I could really do that but I will try my best to keep her away from that man.

I took her hand in mine, but she removed her hand from mine and cowered into my laps. She adjusted herself comfortably on my laps. Then took my arms one by one and put them around her.

It seemed like she wanted to use me as her safety blanket. So I make it like that for her. I embraced her in my arms. She was warm and it made my heart to calm down a little too.

After some time she calmed down and her breathing became even. I moved to look at her face. She was fast asleep.

She must be very tired so I didn't move an inch so that she won't wake up.

I didn't notice how much time passed. I was waiting for her to wake up then she stirred up a little.

"Chase, I am hungry." She whispered.

"We have to wait Kiddo. Until that bast*** I mean until he sleeps, we can not go out." I told her.

She held her stomach with her little hands. And looked very sad.

"But I am hungry now. My tummy is saying it needs something to eat." She said innocently.

I am feeling so helpless. I can not do anything for her. She is so small and hadn't eaten anything for the whole day. She must be very hungry. She doesn't even understand what is going on around her and why she can't go out and eat?

"It's almost dark outside. Just wait for a little while, I will go and bring you something to eat. Okay?" I told her.

She nodded and again sat comfortably on my laps. We waited for I guess an hour and then I sat her on the side and stood up to go and look something to eat from the kitchen.

But Evangeline stopped me and tugged on my hand.

"Don't leave me. It is very dark in here. I will go with you." She said.

"Okay. But you have to stay very very quiet. I don't know what he wants from you." I said.

We get out of the room. The hall was empty. It felt like there was no one in the whole house.

We saw there was no one downstairs. I lead the way and entered the kitchen. I switched on the light. I looked into the refrigerator.

There was some leftover spaghetti. I took it out and put it in the microwave. As I set the timer, I heard a loud sound of breaking something.