The Night Part 4

Atsushi

Atsushi went along with Dazai-san to a warehouse where the Beast was predicted to strike next. They were sitting on some crates as they were waiting for the Beast.

"Dazai-san, what are you reading?"

"A good book."

"I'm surprised that you can read when it's this dark."

"I have a good vision. Besides, I already know everything that happens in this book." The book was called Complete Guide to Suicide

"Why are you reading it, then?" Atsushi had a disappointed face as he noticed the title.

"A good book is always a good book, no matter how many times you reread it," Dazai says. Atsushi looks at him and then down, still worried about what's going to happen.

"Will it actually show up here?"

"It will." Dazai quickly replies Atsushi is scared at how quickly he said it and the fact the Beast is coming. "Don't worry." Atsushi looks at Dazai. "If it shows up, it's no match for me. I may not look like much but I am an operative of the Armed Detective Agency." Dazai said calmly as he looks at Atsushi. Atsushi looks away still worried about what's to come.

"You have a lot of confidence, I'm kind of jealous." Atsushi's face became a doleful expression. "They always called me a failure at the orphanage as long as I can remember." Atsushi puts his head down on his knees that were next to his chest, "And now, I don't even know where I'll sleep tonight, or if I'll eat tomorrow." Memories of his past came back to Atsushi

"Get out you failure!"

"You'll never find a place that you belong to!"

"No one would care if some brat like me died in a ditch somewhere. Yeah, might as well use someone as useless as me as bait for the Beast so it can kill me." As the wind starts howling, Atsushi goes into a slump of depression as Dazai looks at him. Dazai looks up through the window at the moon.

"Now, then... I think it'll be soon." The clouds move away as the moon appears. A loud crash is heard in the background as Atsushi yelps. He stumbles off the crate.

"I...I just heard something back there." Atsushi's face is filled with fear as he sweats.

"Yeah."

"I bet it's the Beast, Dazai-san!" Atsushi said frantically

"No, I think the wind just knocked some stuff over."

"It's the Delinquent! It's coming to murder me!" The thunderous clap of the book closing scared poor Atsushi. 

"Calm down, Atsushi-kun. People don't show up like that." Dazai was obviously annoyed by Atsushi hollering.

"How do you know that for sure!"

"Something wasn't right, to begin with. If orphanage finances went south, they won't just kick out one child, would they? It's not like some farming village from the bygone era. Banishing one or two children won't help much with the budget. It makes more sense to downsize by transferring half of the kids to a different institution." Dazai stands up and jumps down from the crate he was on.

"What are you talking about, Dazai-san?"

"You came into this city two weeks ago. The Beast also appears in this city two weeks ago as well." Atsushi turns around slowly to see the moon through the window. "You were Tsurumi four days ago. The Beast was sighted there at the same time again." Atsushi is mesmerized by the moon itself as Dazai continues. "Remember what Kunikida-kun said? The Armed Detective Agency is comprised of individuals of talent. We have supernatural powers."