Dina - I'm sorry I can't be perfect

Talia pushed her glasses up her nose, before smiling at Dina and ruffling her hair.

"Don't be sad, sis, I'll come back in Summer," she said, closing her bag and stretching. Dina eyed her from the door, her framed pictures of her high school and university friends, the hamsa hand painting on the wall, her books lined on the shelf.

"I know," she said quietly, adjusting her own hamsa bracelet on her wrist. Talia sighed, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Look, I know mother can be... a handful," she started, serious eyes behind her round glasses, "but know that I'm a call away. We can always Skype or whatever."

Dina bit her lip. She knew it wasn't Talia's fault their mother liked her more, or thought she was better. She was better at following the Torah, better at being Jewish, a better daughter.

Dina was a better runner, though.

She and Talia both excelled in school, but while Talia was in the photography club, Dina picked track to help her chances at getting a scholarship and because it was therapeutic. She loves running, and it felt good to have something that was hers. A place where she wasn't under her sister's shadow.

"I'll buy you running shoes from Marathon Sports for your birthday, okay?" Talia said, picking her bag and liking her arm with Dina's as they went down the stairs, "for good luck, so you better win your race with it, sis. Someone gotta make the Almasi name famous."

Dina chuckled at that, squeezing Talia's arm. She didn't want to be alone with their mother. She wished Talia didn't have to leave, or that her university wasn't so far, so maybe she could visit more often.

"I'll see you in June, Dina," she said, hugging her one last time before entering the car and driving away to the airport. "Say bye to Jesse for me!"

"June, yeah," she mumbled to herself, hugging herself and looking back at her house, way too big for only the two of them. It looked grim against the grey sky behind. The sun was setting and she entered her house, mind made to take a nap.

She stepped up to her room, her socked feet making her feel like a ninja going up the stairs in silence. Talia had barely left but she already missed her. Dina groaned, throwing herself on her bed and closing her eyes.

"What did you get on the math test?" her mother asked, stern face looking down at her.

"An A-," she answered, sliding her backpack off her shoulders.

"Why not an A?" her mother quipped back, and Dina had to use all her willpower not to roll her eyes and get her ass slapped back to New Mexico. She stayed silent, because she had no way to answer in a way her mother would deem satisfying.

"Talia's average was an A, Adinah," she crossed her arms, "I wish you were more like your sister," her voice full of disappointment and then she turned on her heels and went back to the kitchen.

Dina sighed, forcing herself to go up the stairs to her room. She did her homework, changed her clothes and left the house for a run.

It felt good, to run and let the frustration leave her body, let it be replaced by the burn in her legs and in her lungs. What was she missing that made Talia so much better? She kept running, the sun slowly going down as she left her neighbourhood.

When she started feeling tired she slowed down, sitting on the curb and letting her head fall between her knees.

An Asian boy she'd crossed sometimes ran by, his longs steps quickly sending him from one side to the other. He was cute, dark hair and tanned skin, kind smile and excited eyes. It was a pleasant surprise when he sat beside her.