Dina - Oh, you make me live

Jesse and Bonnie were also surprised with the news that Ellie was in Dina's Math class.

"Didn't know she was that smart," Jesse said and Bonnie nodded alongside him.

"Yeah. Oh, you know what I heard?" Bonnie turned to Dina, biting down on her banana. "They are saying she's some kind of delinquent. Maybe that's  why she transferred."

Dina shrugged. They were sitting on the courtyard and everyone that passed by waved at them. Dina always smiled and waved back. It came naturally to her, this ability to mingle perfectly with every group, to find ways to make them laugh and open up to her. And so all of them always waved when they saw her, and she smiled back at them. Easy. Uncomplicated.

"Maybe her old school was too easy," she said back, a part of her feeling the need to defend Ellie. "Anyway, do you have practice today, Jesse?"

He nodded, eating his second protein bar.

"Do you want to grab a coffee with me later?"

"What about me?" Bonnie exclaimed dramatically, "am I not invited?"

Dina didn't even fight the eye-roll.

"We both know you were already coming."

"Yes, I am!" Dina checked her watch before standing.

"I'll see you at lunch," they waved at each other and she left for her locker.

She sat through three more classes, making small conversation with people beside her. A lot of them seemed curious about Ellie, especially after the rumours she was some kind of trouble-maker, but Dina dismissed them. It wasn't really fair to say those kinds of things before really knowing the girl, right?

Besides, you can't really trust rumours, isn't that what you learned with that telephone game? The farther it goes down the line the less likely it is to be correct.

That didn't stop Dina wondering if they were true, though. Why would the principal ask her to evaluate her if she wasn't a problem at all? What a reputation she must have.

She met her friends at the cafeteria, now complete with Mike, who was also on the football team with Jesse, Lucas and Emma. They were chatting and laughing, and she sat beside Lucas with her food tray.

"Hey guys," she said with a smile, immediately looking around for a green flannel. They said their hellos back, quickly resuming their conversation while she kept scanning the cafeteria.

Yep, no sign of Ellie.

Would the Sofer want her to search for the girl? Nah, she was probably fine. Right?

"Hey. Dina." Lucas elbowed her, making her turn her attention to him. It looked like maybe he had been calling her for a while now, "so, the new girl. How is she?"

The thing was... she had no idea. The only thing she could say that maybe he didn't already know was that she was good enough at Math to be in Math 2.

"I don't know, this is only her first day," she shrugged, letting her eyes wander through the tables again, "you can't know a lot in just one day." As no one seemed to have any interesting thing to say about Ellie, the topic quickly changed.

Mike and Jesse were on the football team together and were eating these massive pieces of meat with their protein shakes. Mike was black, hair shaved around the head and longer on top. He was taller than Jesse and both were always doing competitions to see who could bench press more weight.

"I bet I can drink this faster than you," he said, deep voice cocky while he pointed at Jesse's bottle.

They also did stupid competitions like those.