XLII

It was the day of the homecoming dance, and both Justin and Love couldn't contain their excitement. They'd both played it cool whilst around each other, but they'd always think about the evening in store for them and almost yell with glee.

Surprisingly, they'd gotten through the day pretty well. Justin promised he'd pick her up on time. Nobody ever arrives on time, so Justin had planned a small trip to a fast food restaurant before hand. In his mind, nothing could ruin tonight. There was a chance of Rowan making a scene, but not even she could ruin it. He finally had his small chance with Love, even if it wasn't an actual shot at being with her. Just to dance with her was enough.

Love's mom had taken the evening out of work, helping her daughter get dolled up for homecoming. Her mom loved dances and everything to do with high school. She'd always gush about her and Love's father being prom king and queen. It was a sweet story.

Having a bunch of makeup on her face felt foreign, as did the tight, red dress on her skin. She'd also worn some extremely high heels, not wanting her height to affect her evening. Margot had occasionally entered her room, checking on her makeup and complimenting her. Finally, after a fiasco of makeup, hair, and struggling to figure out the heels, she was ready and sat in the living room.

"So you're going with Justin? Why not Rowan?" Her mom asked. To her, it was more than likely just high school drama, but Love was still puzzled over why she was still with Rowan.

"We argued and we're both going separately with our friends." Love explained, checking the time. Homecoming usually started at 8ish, and ended whenever really, but nobody arrived early. As if on cue, Love heard a knock at the door but her mom beat her to it.

"Justin! You look so handsome." Her mom greeted, opening the door. She heard a chuckle as he stepped in, glancing over to Love. He'd never seem her so dolled up. She was gorgeous no matter what she wore, but this was jaw dropping. Both Love and her mom caught onto his reaction, giggling together. "Can I get a picture before you leave?"

The pair posed, Justin's arm around her waist and Love's hands were awkwardly linked together.

"See you later, mom." Love called out, walking down the driveway and to Justin's car. Justin had opened the passenger door for her, before getting in himself, finally it was the pair of them alone.

"You look so good, very beautiful." He complimented, smiling over to her. She was glad he didn't use the words 'hot' or 'sexy'. As much as she liked them, it felt degrading and she didn't feel beautiful when people called her hot. Beautiful meant a lot more than 'sexy' did.

"You look very handsome, shall we leave?" She asked, meeting his eyes. He'd zoned out, but quickly zoned back in after Love had asked her question. He'd jumped out of his daydream and started the car, apologising for any tension he'd caused.

Their night was enjoyable. The pair danced both together, along with Dre for some of the night, and mingled with some of the team. Love still felt awkward around them, and as much as she hated them, she didn't want to ruin Justin's night.

No matter how great of a night it had been so far, Love's mind wandered over to Rowan. What was she doing? Her eyes darted around the dance floor, seeing Rowan cozied up to one of her friends. They looked as if they were about to kiss. Of course, Love shouldn't feel jealous or mad, she'd actually kissed her friend. Rowan hadn't yet.

Love watched attentively, Rowan smiling and wiggling closer into the arms of her friend. And it happened. Their lips touched for a few seconds, Rowan giggling and pulling away like the teenager she was. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt her. She didn't feel the fury, betrayal, or anger than Rowan felt towards her. She spent the whole day questioning her and Rowan's current relationship; but it had been decided long before this night. It had been decided the moment she got into that cab, resting her head on Justin's shoulder, and kissing him. Their relationship was no more.

Seeing Rowan 'cheat back', it was weight from her shoulders. Not because she didn't have to be the only guilty one, but because she had her feelings finally figured out. It was a spur of the moment thing, she'd pulled Justin away from his football teammates and into the dance floor. The song matched perfectly to her emotions, and she'd placed her hands on either side of his face before bringing him into a kiss. It was right, just right, like this is what she needed and wanted. It felt like getting an A on a difficult test, like being victorious in a game, like she had the world at her feet.

Neither cared about the drama about to ensue, Justin was so overwhelming with how perfect the night had been. Love wasn't full of hatred, just peace. Everything felt right.