2 years

All throughout the ride back to Baker Street, in which Vaness sat alone on a cab, she kept her gaze on the window. John and Mrs. Hudson went home without her, as she did tell John that she needed to be alone. The closer she gets to Baker Street, the harder it was to breathe. She wanted to go back to Sherlock, she wanted to go wherever he's going. But, at the same time, she owe this to John.

She arrived at Baker Street and went straight upstairs to the living room. There, she found John sitting on his armchair, staring at Sherlock's chair.

"Hey." She called.

John turned to her and immediately his face brightened, and a huge smile reached his eyes.

"You stayed." He said with a relieved tone.

"Well, I couldn't just leave my bestfriend all alone." She said walking towards her own armchair.

John looked thoughtful, "You don't have to stay for me. I know it's also hard for with..." he trailed off.

"I don't have to. But I want to be here for you. I wasn't just Sherlock's girlfriend, in fact, I became your friend before I became his." She said softly.

John smiled at her. And that smile made everything worth it.

"Have you had lunch yet?" She asked.

"Actually, no. I was waiting for you." John replied sheepishly.

Vaness smiled and pulled him up from his chair. "Come on then, let's go out. No moping for today." She said.

John looked confused.

"Okay. Stop this." John said.

Vaness stopped pulling him and faced him.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"You." John replied.

She looked at him in bewilderment.

"Vaness... you don't have to pretend." John said.

Vaness felt tears on her eyes but she just smiled at him, "I'm not pretending."

"Yes you are. Sherlock's dead..." John said with his eyes closed, then he opened them to look back at her, "and I know you are hurting. We both are. And you have to stop pretending that you're okay just to make me feel okay."

Vaness opened her mouth to say something but John didn't let her.

"Please. Promise me that you will never pretend in front of me just to make me feel better." John pleaded.

Vaness closed her eyes. Her purpose in staying was to make sure John was okay. She sighed.

"Fine." She said, "I promise." She said.

After that, the two stayed at 221B, they didn't want to eat. They were not in the mood to do anything really. It was all too much. Mrs. Hudson came in that night to bring them food, but neither of them ate. Vaness felt guilty for not telling John the truth, she wanted to. But, not now. Not yet. She had to make sure that he'll meet her first.

***

The next day, Vaness woke up at noon. She looked around herself and realized she slept in Sherlock's bed. Not the first time, but the first time without Sherlock on it. She groaned as she didn't want to get up, but she did.

After a while, she entered the living room and found John, with his clothes packed, sitting on the sofa. She halted on the kitchen doorway.

"You're leaving." She said, getting John's attention.