The Reichenbach Fall (Part 2)

At 221B, Sherlock's phone begins to ring. His eyes snap open. Outside the court, John is hurrying along the pavement.

"Not Guilty. They found him Not Guilty. No defence, and Moriarty's walked free." John said into the phone.

Sherlock lowers his phone, staring blankly ahead.

"Sherlock. Are you listening? He's out. You-you know he'll be coming after you. Sher..." John couldn't finish.

Sherlock switches off the phone and gets up off the sofa. As Sherlock stood up to get dressed, Vaness headed down to her room. She stripped of her clothes quickly to put on a very nice dress, it was elegant black. She headed back up as Sherlock got out of his bedroom, wearing a suit.

Sherlock turned to look at her then frowned.

"No" Sherlock said firmly.

"What?" Vaness asked.

"You will not be part of this." He said.

Vaness raised an eyebrow. Sherlock pulled her arm but she stood her ground.

"I'm already part of this." she said.

"Not like this." Sherlock's face was filled in pain.

"Stay in my bedroom and don't make a single sound." Sherlock ordered pushing her in his bedroom.

"What? Pretend that I don't exists?" she asked. "You and I both know that he'll know I'm there the moment he steps in here." Vaness said gesturing to the living room.

Sherlock groaned, "I don't care! Just stay there." he said in exasperation, "please." he added.

Vaness sighed, "Fine." She turned to face him, "You don't need to protect me Sherlock. I want to fight this battle with you." she said softly.

"I know." Sherlock whispered. "But you don't need to fight my battles for me."

Vaness kissed his forehead and headed towards is bedroom, closing the door behind her. She listened for what was happening outside. A few minutes later, she could hear Sherlock play his violin. Vaness listened more closely.

In the kitchen Sherlock switches on the kettle and slams down a small tray beside it, putting a jug of milk, a sugar bowl, a teapot and two cups and saucers with teaspoons onto the tray. The kettle comes to the boil and switches off and Sherlock, makes the tea and takes the tray to the table beside John's chair, then walks over to his own chair and picks up his violin and bow. As he begins to play Bach's Sonata No. 1 in G minor, downstairs the front door is expertly lockpicked and pushed open. Jim's easily-recognisable shadow precedes him as he slowly walks along the hall and up the stairs. Partway up, one of the stairs creaks noisily and Jim pauses for a moment, as does Sherlock's playing. A couple of seconds later Sherlock resumes from a few notes before where he stopped and Jim starts to climb the stairs again. Sherlock, standing with his back to the living room door, keeps playing until Jim pushes open the door, then he stops but doesn't yet turn around.

"Most people knock." Sherlock said then he shrugs. "But then you're not most people, I suppose."

He gestures over his shoulder with his bow towards the table.

"Kettle's just boiled." He said

Jim walks further into the room and bends to pick up an apple from the bowl on the coffee table.

"Johann Sebastian would be appalled." Jim said.

Tossing the apple and catching it, he looks around the living room as if searching for a seat.

"May I?" Jim asked.

"Please." Sherlock replied turning to face him.

He gestures with the end of his bow towards John's chair. Jim immediately walks over to Sherlock's chair and sits in that one instead. Sherlock looks slightly unnerved. Jim takes out a small penknife and starts to cut into the apple while Sherlock puts down the violin and begins to pour tea into the cups.