Lucky

(This is the end)

NAGITO POV

   My face immediately turns red. "I-er, uh..." I stutter out nervously. He turns my hand to get a better look.

   "You didn't have this earlier." He continues. 

   "A-Actually I did." I admit shyly. His eyebrows rise. 

   "Really?"

   I stare at my feet, embarrassed. "It was actually for you."

   He stumbles back, cheeks tinted pink. "L-Like as a casual gift or were you...God, Komaeda, were you going to propose?!" He stammers. I start spinning the ring around my finger.

   ".....I was thinking about it, I don't know. It was a brief fantasy I didn't deserve, I was going to die. And then I didn't..."

   I can't look him in the eye. How humiliating.

   Suddenly I can hear laughing from across me. This is...just some big joke to him now.

   "What trashy behavior, eh Hajime?" I mutter. 

   "Ahaha, no, Nagito, look up!"

   I hesitantly look up and there is a grinning Hajime holding out a silver band of his own.

   "Looks like we had the same idea."

   Wh-Wh-

   Hajime was going to propose to me?! Hajime?! To me?!

   ME?!

   "But...I don't understand. You said it was too soon?" I say. Hajime rolls his eyes.

   "You're dense like me, Nagito. It was a ruse!" He chuckles. 

   "A ruse?"

   "Yeah, to throw you off the scent. I wanted to marry you the moment I knew you were alive, dum-dum! So will you?" He thrusts the ring in my face.

   "Wow...so sudden..." I comment. His brows furrow.

   "Do you not want to?" He demands worriedly.

   I shake my head, chucking. "No, that's not it. I'm thinking about how ridiculous this all is. I mean, I try and jump off a building and you pull me down and propose?! It's absurd."

   He grins. "Nagito, nothing about our relationship has ever been normal! The circumstances under which we met, both of us getting kidnapped a lot, etc etc, doesn't it make sense we have a nonsensical engagement story?"

   I suppose he has a point. 

   "That's true..."

   "So marry me! I am your hope after all." He insists cheerfully. I turn my head away.

   "What is it now?" He wonders. 

   "That's a lame proposal, Hajime. I mean, people usually drop to their knees and profess their undying love for the other person, y'know?" I explain with a teasing smile. He rolls his eyes but never less takes my hand and falls to his knee.

   "How humiliating," He mutters before speaking up, "Um, Nagito you're the light of my life...um...you give me happiness and hope, so, Komaeda Nagito will you marry me?"

   I giggle. "Wow..."

   "Was that good enough?"

    I pull him to his feet, ignoring that last remark. 

   "Hinata Hajime I will marry you."

   I grab him by his tie, pulling him into a kiss. 

   The End

================================================================================

   A final word from your author:

   And thus, the people got the happy ending they demanded. They're getting married. Is this ending more satisfying??

   This was originally supposed to have a bad, dark ending as well. Nagito was going to die far earlier and Hajime was going to have hallucinations of him that pushed him to death. But I gave the happy ending.

   This au was really fun. Thanks for reading.

   ~Camryn