Chapter 17 - The Girls Will be Fine

If you came from Tiktok let me know :)

~

Later, the Gladers were taken to their room for the night. The guard opened the door, that was previously locked, and stepped aside to allow them in. The room was nothing special. It was a series of bunkbeds, enough to hold them all, as well as blue lockers, coat hangers and a hidden corner where the 'bathroom' was. However, in the Glader's eyes, this was luxurious.

Frypan began to make his way toward the closest bed. "Ooh, I got top bunk."

Minho quickly placed his foot on the bottom bed frame and pulled himself up onto the top bunk before Frypan could even begin to climb the ladder. "Too slow."

Winston lay down on the bottom bunk of the other row of beds with a faint smile on his face. "I could get used to this."

"Yeah, it's not bad," Newt said as he and Thomas continued to analyse the room.

Just then, the door locking echoed throughout the room, catching everyone's attention for a brief moment. They didn't dwell on it too much. Besides, Thomas had other questions on his mind.

"Hey," he addressed Newt. "What do you think those guys want with Teresa and Allison?"

Newt swallowed. Deep down, he was worried about Allison because he didn't really know if he trusted this place, but he didn't have a choice, and everyone else seemed comfortable, so assuming it was all bad was probably the paranoia. At least that's what he hoped.

"Now, if there's one thing I know about both of them, it's that they can take care of themselves."

"Allison will probably knock out the doctors before they can touch her," Minho commented from his bed.

Newt chuckled. "I wouldn't put it past her." He turned back to Thomas, who still seemed uneasy. "Don't worry about it."

Newt climbed up the ladder and onto the top bunk of the bed closest to him, leaving Thomas to speculate.

~

Allison followed the guard throughout several hallways which all looked the same. They all had identical ceiling lights that flickered every so often, and white paint on the walls that seemed to have begun to dull down. There was a draft too, which made the hairs on her arms stand up since she was in a paper-thin T-shirt, while the guard was probably warm from how heavily armed he was. In fact, the guard's amount of weaponry made her uneasy. None of the doctors surrounding Teresa had anything on them, so why did they send a guard with three guns on him to collect her? Surely a teenage girl wasn't that dangerous?

Allison quickly lost track of how many turns they had taken, but eventually, the guard led her to a metal door, which he opened with a wipe of his key-card. It hissed at it opened and he stepped aside, allowing her to go in first.

Pressing her lips together, she stepped into the room which was bright with florescent lights. A woman was stood in a white jacket by the chair, preparing a syringe. There were also two guards in the room, one on each side of the chair. The woman turned, flashing a wide smile. She had bright red hair that was pinned up into a clean bun, and her face was wrinkled despite seeming in her mid-thirties.

"Allison, dear. Look at you. You've become so..." she paused her a moment as her eyes scanned the teenage girl with a wrinkled nose, "rugged, since I last saw you."

"We've never met before," Allison said firmly.

The woman waved her hand dismissively. "Of course, you can't remember."

So, Allison knew this woman before her memories got taken?

"You know me?"

"Of course, I know you." The woman patted the chair. "Take a seat."