Twenty-Seven

"Did you have a good rest?" Camille said cheerfully as she drew back the curtains.

"Yeah," I replied as I rubbed my eyes, still trying to adjust to the brightness. "where is Nicholas?"

"Oh, he told me to inform you that something urgent cropped up and he needs to be out of town," Camille responded in a serious tone, one that I have seldom heard her in. "But he told me that he would be back the following morning and that you can have the day to yourself."

"Excellent!" Though I was disappointed that I couldn't spend the day with Nicholas, I was happy that I was able to have some time to myself. But I wasn't going to spend the day indoors, I needed to get some fresh air. As I thought about the possible places that I could venture, my thoughts drifted to Agnes.

It has indeed been quite a while since I last saw her. Perhaps it would be a good time to catch up with her.

"I will be heading to Agnes' for the day."

"Sure. Shall I send word of your arrival?"

"It's quite alright. I want this to be a surprise." I smiled sheepishly before donning on the outfit of the day and towards the dining hall for breakfast.

"Has Nicholas taken his breakfast?" I asked, worried that he would neglect his body amidst his business. Camille giggled at my question while I stared blankly at her, taking a bite out of the bacon.

"Both of you look like an old married couple," She answered, "Before Sir Nicholas left, he gave me strict instructions to make sure that you have eaten your breakfast, or else you are not to leave this house." That toasty feeling spread as upon hearing the concern Nicholas had for me, prompting a smile to creep to my lips.

Not wanting to miss a moment longer, I stuffed the piece of toast into my mouth and headed for the carriage.

*

As I approached the porch, I made a gentle knock; and what came to my surprise was for me to be greeted by a familiar face.

"Julie!"

"Abbey!"

The both of us exclaimed at the same moment as we rushed to embrace each other.

"What are you doing here?" Julie queried.

"I came to visit Agnes. Is she here?"

"Uhm, hold on a minute." Julie replied, with a slight distress written over her face before she closed the door on me, leaving me in the hot sun.

That's new.

After what seemed like a few minutes, the door opened once more, revealing Agnes who cheerfully greeted me. "Abbey! What a surprise!" Agnes proclaimed as she led me into the house, pulling me into an embrace.

I was finally back at the place where I first started, the familiar halls and walkways hit me with such nostalgia. I can't help but remember how flustered I was when I came here. It has truly been a journey.

"Let me take a look at you," Agnes turned me towards her direction while we had our butts stuck to the sofa. "Wow, you have truly grown. I could hardly recognize you! It seems those lessons with Sir Nicholas are getting paid off." Her eyes beamed with pride.

"So, what is new within those two months?" She inquired.

"It's going great!" I reported, "But first, there are a few juicy details that I need to inform you." I reached for her wrist, eager to tell her about the relationship between Nicholas and I. However, this only earned a wince from Agnes.