twenty

A girl pushes her way through the crowd, standing right by the door. She smiled weakly at me, 'remember, trust me'. It was her it had to be, she was speaking un my head, she was the one who'd tried to stand up for her back at the box. They one who looked actually humane, like she didn't actually want to cut me up into thousands of pieces any second.

Newt was bruised, lying in a heap at my feet. I bend down, and it all became clear to me, the voice, the message, this was 'my friend', Newt was 'my friend'.

"Newt get up" I whisper quietly, not wanting the savages to hear. I look up the other boy had gone. Not good. "Newt get up, please" I'm trying harder now, forcibly pushing him over "please Newt, I'm sorry" I smile, if anything would get him up those two words would.

He didn't move.

"how many shucking times do I have to say to you Gemma?" I sigh, letting the built up air of air rush out. "It's not your fault" he whispered the last bit, as if he was fading away. "No, Newt" I shout at him. "Wake up, please!"

Newt rolls over in my arms, his eyes still closed. "If you knew what was about to happen to me Gem, if you knew what I was, you wouldn't try." I shake my head. Of course I would save him, whatever the cost. "Gem, outside, the world's dieing, your special you immune. I'm not Gem. Please it's for the best, Gem just along with it." His voice was barely a sigh, floating through the air. "Gem. Careful who you trust Gem..." the last two words I could not hear. His eyes closed, his body sinking inwards. "Remember it's not your fault." Newt sighed "I bloody love you, gem" and then his arms fell to his side, uncovering a bloody hole in his side. I grab his hand, it was cold and still. My eyes blur, tears streaming down my face. "I bloody love you too newt" I reply leaning over him and kissing him softly on him lips. He smelt like freshly cut grass, and tasted sweet. But the smell of death rang through, already consuming his body, i lower my head crying into his chest. Blood coats both me and him now. Then the tears stop, replaced by blood dribbling down my face. I cried all my tears. My eyes left dry. I look up, the two boys and the girl, stood above me, looking down, their eyes hazy, the girls were full, one tears leaking out and sliding down her face, just like a raindrop on a car window, it was followed by others.

I decided who I would trust then. Their expression was clear we needed to get out.

I bent over newt one last time, kissing him on his hair line and bringing my fingers over his eyes closing them. He looked like he was sleeping. Relaxed by him comforting dreams.

"Sweet dreams" I whispered and rose shakily to my feet. "I'll see you when you wake"