Sixteen

Newt notices my sudden squirming, moving his arm position, but i just slide out of his hands, slowly falling to the ground. "There" I point to the glimmering point on the wall "there's our exit"

A pain shoots inside my skull, like it's visibly cracking my head in half. i let my head drop forward, closing my eyes in pain. i feel my mind drifting once again the familiar feeling filling my head. But this time images fill my mind, boys in the glade, some running in, just as the doors close. Then I drift past it. I need to get back! I need to save myself and the others. Passing the glade image I notice dead boys are scattered, grievers wait at the doors. Screaming I break out of my daze immediately.

"How long till the doors open?" I ask, knowing full well that once they were open all of the Gladers would be dead. "'bout' a quarter of an hour I spose" Minho replies "we wait we can take them shucking ditches with us"
"No we can't." I speak in a hushed ghostly tone "their all dead, grievers were waiting in there, and their waiting for the doors to open, so they can kill us to." stunned faces look on. "What the bloody hell? We have to go, NOW!" newts' voice rose as he got louder, shouting at the end.
Boys hustle about talking about ways to get up there. 17 boys. 15 minutes. Probably about a ten minute climb. If it was even climbable.

Running to the wall I tie myself on, testing the hanging ivy first then using it like a harness. Shouting I call for eight more boys to join me. There was no immature squabbling of who was to go first, right boys joined quickly and began to climb.

When we were about two person lengths up Minho ordered the rest to harness up.
The climbing was difficult, the ivy ropes like sand paper against my skin, rubbing me raw. i felt no pain. My mind set on survival, I climbed on.
Newt was beside me, his breath heavy and strained, but his climbing great, almost like he'd done it before. Glancing at his watch newt shouted that there was 10 minutes left, they were almost there. Newt edged ahead easily finding good foot hold and hauling himself up. He reached down aiding me when me foot found nowhere to grip. After three minutes of continuous hard climbing we reached the bottom of the glimmering patch. There was a small ledge and a metal plate. Resting my elbows on the ledge, feet lodged in a missing brick space I untie myself, thinking of what to do next. Suddenly I had I weird thought, it said you felt blackness.

You had to knock yourself out.

Shouting i motioned for the first climber to head but the wall. He couldn't. Newt and Minho were forced to do it, knowing full well he'd never be able to do it himself. The boy fainted. Newt and Minho still holding him, he turned grey, his body melting into a cloud of ash zooming upwards, shooting into the sky.

7 more boys passed into the glimmering wall.

Next came Chuck, the boy who had been my friend in the night of terrible groans and screams. My friend who comforted me without even talking I smiled at him "see you on the other side" he whispers to me. I suddenly have a flashing thought that he means death, no this is safe, and this will take us to safety. I smile again and reply with a small grunt of a yeah. He declines me and newts offer, smashing his head into the wall.

But some thought must have caught on his mind, something to make him hesitate. Chuck fell to the ground, landing in a crumpled heap, his leg painfully twisted beneath his back. My eyes flick down, rue and yearn building inside me. I hum a quick requiem, for him. I sway to my humming my eyelids fluttering tears, rolling down my cheeks feeling as hard as diamonds stabbing my skin.

Newts arms is around me, steading me on the ledge, boys hang their heads around me, languish could be felt: heavy in the air. Each breath I took filled me with sorrow that Chuck would take no more.

A grinding sound put a sharp stop to our aching sorrow, soft at first the louder more prominent. How had time passed so quickly? The doors were opening