Eight

Sitting in the slammer was boring, really boring. I gave trying to amuse myself hours ago, by the looks of things it was around 5:00 maybe later, and a ghostly hushed silence had fallen over the glade, no one could be seen from the small square window in the slammer.

Approximately Thirty minutes later she heard footsteps, crawling to the door she saw newt and a short roundish boy with curly hair running toward her. Newt reached the door unlocking it a stepping inside, "gemma your not coming out i just need to tell you something" the breaths heavily "the doors haven't closed, your safe in here, safer than the homestead, chuck will stay with you to keep you company, com'ere" he draws me into a hug when tears sting my ears "its my fault" i whisper "i'm sorry" newt pulls away shaking his head, and starts to back away, holding my fingers until they could no longer touch, turning he ran through the door locking me and chuck in the slammer. blowing me a kiss he disappears.

"HI" chuck says to me grinning "there's something between you and newt, I always saw it when he first looked at you but thought it would never work, wow" he's grinning at me like its a joke. I suddenly felt bad for calling him fat, he must have only been thirteen. "um how old do you think i look" i ask him suddenly realising newt could be WAY to old for me! "urm I'd say bout' 14-15" phew, newt must only be around 2 years older than me.

I crawled over to the wall and sat next to chuck. slowly drifting in and out of sleep unaware of what danger awaited in the night.

A fuzzy feeling filled my brain, i was in that mid sleep mode, just dosing. but i didn't wake up because i felt like it or even just because i was cold, a ghostly moan filled the glade, with regular clicking. a shiver ran down my spin and my hand shot out, grabbing chucks leg and shaking him awake.

He shakes his head at me, motioning for me to lie down and go to sleep. pretending to zip his lips, presumably telling me to stay quiet.

Lying down i clutch my knees trying to slow my shaking, and making myself breath regularly to stop myself gasping.

That night was truly the most horrible night of my life. all i could hear was those moans and clicks snapping wood of the homestead. once in the middle of the night a blood curdling scream rang out making me gasp, and immediately cover my mouth with my hands in fear of being found and gruesomely killed in however a way these grievers kill.

When dawn rose i was still in a trance of fear. I had not a wink of sleep, and my body was shaking, sending spasms of fear through me.

I never wanted to live like that again.