Eleven

"Hey, I think I've got a key in here somewhere" newts emptying his pockets, searching through the upturned debris. "here, i knew i did, right gem put yer arm through there and try to unlock it" newt put the key in the hand, folding my fingers around it and nudging me to the door, "my hands are to big compared to yer dainty ones gem." sliding my hand out between the bars I twisted i round shoving the key into the lock and turning it. The doors pings backwards taking my hand with it causing me to yelp in pain, sliding it out I cup it in my arm.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, then sliding around my waist newt takes my throbbing hand, lifting it and examining it, "not broken, or dislocated" he announces "just sprained, sorry gem, that's my fault" he lent forward kissing my knuckles, "we should get out of here, find out why half of the Gladers are outside" I say slipping out of newts arms and walking forwards. but stopping suddenly, boys lie most injured just outside the west door, running forward i reach the nearest one: the boy which put her in the slammer, newt was close to her heels, "Gally, what happened out there? We were in the slammer" the boy, Gally, raised his eye level meeting my eyes, hatred filled them.

"We left the glade when we heard shouts, the runners returning, they were being chased 15 shucking grievers. We organised a defence team bringing weapons, defending the glade at all costs. Many died, many couldn't get back to the glade before the doors closed. At least half, definitely over 30. I was lucky."

Shocked I crumpled to the ground leaning against newts legs to stay upright. "There’s something else" Gally continued "a voice, we don't know who it came from, said that.. That... We have to leave, or we'll all die, you should know how to leave. Our runners have studied maps for 2 years found nothing, you have to know or we're all dead."

Gasping for and a shaking all over I felt my body spasm, I tried to stop but once more the urge was to strong. "The exit is unseen, no patterns show it, when you pass through you'll feel darkness just like you would if you were to do this anywhere else." I take shaking breaths trying to realise the fear which has taken over my body, to submerge it in calmness. Then an image pops into my head, a wall. "The exit is a wall" I say, my brain making me say it this time. Then I see something else a metal plate "a wall with metal on it, a metal plate." knowing there must be thousands of walls in this maze I sigh. Not much help that brought.

Walking through the sleeping bodies with newt he points out faces. Trying to gain an understanding of who he's lost. Finding a spot on the floor we fall asleep. 
My dreams are happy, for the first time since I've entered this glade, dreams of a happy paradise I found. However the dream was soon to be shattered. When I woke people were bunched together in a tight circle, watching the doors opening, my eyes followed where they looked. Grievers lay at all exits except one.