Chapter 27: Everyone Has Secrets

Start from the beginning

"We just want to have a talk, Periplanómenos," Annabeth said innocently.

"Ya, well, I don't," Percy sassed back. "Now leave us be."

"You don't understand," Jason growled as he drew his sword. "You. Are. Coming. With. Us."

Percy smirked, eyes twinkling with amusement behind the silver sunglasses. "You know, it isn't a good idea to threaten people near the ocean when a Child of Poseidon is around," he said casually, now twirling his sword around like he was bored.

"Who, you?" Annabeth questioned eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"My parentage is none of your concern," Percy replied coldly. "But hers is." All eyes went to Kate, who shrunk away further into the ocean.

"This is your last chance," Annabeth warned as the Ares campers started moving to encircle the three demigods. "Come with us, are we shall be forced to take you against your will."

"No," Percy stated.

"So be it," Annabeth sighed as she stepped backwards and the seven demigods rushed forward.

Jason and four of the Ares campers charged towards Percy, while the other two rushed Jacob. Not waiting for the enemy to come to him, Percy rushed towards the nearest target, who happened to be a rather gruff looking Ares girl. She didn't stand a chance. Within seconds Percy had performed the disarming technique Luke had taught him all those years ago, slammed the pommel of his sword into her temple, and moved on to the next Ares brute. The next opponent went down in the same fashion, causing the rest to become wary of the warrior in front of them. Periplanómenos was more skilled than they had realized, he surpassed even Percy in speed and technique. Noticing Jason flanking around his left, and the other Ares minion doing the same on his right, Percy drew a throwing knife from among the sheaths on his thigh. The Ares warrior in front of him had a spear, and he did not have the time to get under his guard before the other two attacked him from behind. Percy threw the knife, and it embedded itself in the fleshy part of the shoulder joint as Jason took to the air. Clouds started gathering and thunder started booming as Percy dispatched the last of his Ares attackers.

Meanwhile, Jacob was dealing with his own attackers. He knew that he wouldn't last long in a prolonged fight. He was good with a spear, but nowhere near as good as the skilled Ares kids. Drawing sunlight into his palm, Jacob dashed for the large gap in between the minions and fired it directly into their eyes as he ran past. This blinded them and allowed him to get to a better position. Looking back, he saw Percy take down all of his attackers but Jason in quick succession. Jacob also noticed that this seemed to worry Annabeth, who then threw on her Yankees cap and vanish as Jason started launching lightning strikes at Percy. "Peri, watch out," Jacob shouted as he took a stab at an approaching opponent. "Annabeth is using the cap!" This caused Percy to frown and look at the sand around him for footprints. Jacob retreated as the two Ares kids advanced on him, angling slightly to get back to Percy.

However, before he could get far, a blade was placed at his neck. "Drop the sword," Annabeth ordered from behind him. "Or the Sun Spawn gets it!"

"Don't do it," Jacob argued. "She'll just kill me anyways!" Percy glanced at the terrified Kate, Jason, and then the hostage Jacob, unsure of what to do.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Periplanómenos, I swear on the River Styx not to kill Jacob today of you drop the sword." Thunder boomed to seal the oath as Percy dropped RiptideI with a sigh. "Good, good," Annabeth grinned. "Now, we're just going to take a quick walk into the woods for a. . . talk." Annabeth started dragging Jacob towards the woods, while Jason escorted Percy.