37. Spicy 'n sweet

Start from the beginning

"What has she done?" I inquired when I couldn't decipher anything from her expression.

"She is your war prize, right?" My eyes narrowed at that. Althea tucked her hair behind her ear, staring at the ground. What was she cooking behind me?

Mother continued, "Does being a war prize mean doing nothing, and wandering around the palace all day? What's this behaviour of her, Julian? Not to mention she's unaware of womanly etiquette," she bawled out, irritated when I gave her a blank look.

"Who told you she's a war prize?" I exhaled.

"This little dove did," she patted Althea's head.

Little dove, huh?

You really are something mother. Giving her such an adorable name when she made you angry.

I looked down at the little dove's trembling frame bowed on the ground. Looking fearful as ever.

"Was," I corrected, "She's my court writer now."

I would've defended her, but she never told me her plan. Now, shouldn't I have a little fun scaring her? She did lie to the last person she should ever lie. Yes, my dear mother can get that scary.

"What?" she asked unbelievably, her kohl swiped eyes narrowing to resemble an eagle's, "Woman a writer? Why?!" she snarled.

I opened my mouth, but she cut me off,

"Her duty is to raise a family. And you made her a court writer? Do you know you are playing with her life, Julian?" She turned her sharp gaze towards Althea,
"And you dared lie to me, woman?!"

This time a shaky hiccup escaped her. Her eyes watered, but she blinked it away, trying not to sniff.

This wasn't funny anymore.

"Althea, wait in my room," I waved my hand for her to go out. She stiffened considerably, looking nowhere in particular. Mother snorted.

"Can we discuss this alone, mother?" I motioned to the verbal mess they had created. She just turned her head aside.

I sighed, "Althea, to my room."

Standing up, she bowed to me and in the split moment; she looked close to breaking in tears. Apparently, she was still scared that I may do something to her. And mother's harshness didn't help.

When she crossed the doorstep, I called back, "With your book!"

She faintly turned around, relieved that I didn't have other intentions for her. She changed her path to go to her room.

I closed the door and finally walked inside the room, "I see you've scared her more than I possibly could."

Mother's bitter expression melted to a bright smile, "Who is the elder one here?" she grinned.

I snickered, shaking my head. Walking to the other side of the room where the cupboard lay, I opened it,
"It's Egypt, mother, not our hometown. Though people are content after Alexander's conquer, we never know when they'll rise to protest with the changes he is making," I fetched a goblet and closed the wooden door.

"Isn't it obvious to change the Egyptian rules with our Greek ones, when we have freed them from Darius' slavery? It's the least they can do," she voiced out.

I picked the tall jar near her feet and sat on the bed placed beside her throne, "Egypt has diversified rules which extend to women having major rights. And with us seizing those rights gradually to match with the Greeks, there's a possibility of revolts.

"Now, what's better than showing them we've appointed a female court writer?" I poured the juice in the goblet and drank some,
"Moreover, Althea has been a writer in late queen Cleopatra's court, so she'll do just fine," I glanced over the rim of my goblet to see her nod, listening everything silently.