Love in War - Chapter 6: Reflect Before You Act

Start from the beginning

She turned around, startled, to see her mother, who had a look of slight concern on her face when she saw her. It was clear that the weight of Mulan's thoughts had taken a toll on her as her cheeks were red and her eyes were tired and bloodshot with stress.

"It looks fine, darling," Fa Li assured her, gently leading her away from the work she was doing, "all you need to worry about is getting to bed."

She walked Mulan back to her room and instructed her to get some sleep. The house was clean, and her father and grandmother had called it a night hours ago. Fa Li had only realized Mulan was still up when she checked to make sure all the candles had been blown out. It was early morning now, and the last thing any of them needed was to be lethargic tomorrow.

The two bid each other a good night before making their separate ways. Upon entering her room, Mulan was greeted by an energetic Little Brother whom she had woken up from his slumber. She stroked the dog's head a few times before lightly shushing him, telling him to go back to sleep. Once he was appeased, she unceremoniously threw herself onto the bed and groaned into her pillow.

"Wow! You look awful!" Mushu informed her as he scurried up by her side.

"Thanks," she sarcastically responded, a look of annoyance on her face before it once again changed to one of worry, "Mushu, what if you're right? What if Shang's mother doesn't like me?"

"That's what you're worried about!? I just wanted you to think about it, not go into a panic! You don't have to worry! You're more than any old 'perfect bride', you're a girl worth fighting for!"

She thought about what he said and tried to believe it, but ultimately looked back to him for further guidance.

"Everything'll be fine," he reassured her, slightly patting her head, "Cri-Kee, get in here! Our girl needs some auditory relaxation!"

Mulan laughed a little, "Mushu, I'm fine. I just..." but before she finished, she found the small cricket by her bedpost, chirping his song. She gave a lighthearted sigh, "That actually does help. Thank you," she told the insect before turning back to Mushu, "and thank you . You really are my most trusted friend." She gave him a tired smile and kissed his forehead, before settling down and drifting into a slumber.

The next morning, Mulan woke to the slight tapping of her father, who wanted to make sure she didn't sleep in too late. She went about her morning routine before settling back into her room, in front of her mirror. There was still so much to do. So much to prepare for. She still needed to make a good impression. Everything had to be perfect.

She ruled it best to set Little Brother outside in an effort to prevent any possible mishaps with the energetic pup, and then focused more on herself. She spent the remainder of the morning studying the Admonition Scrolls she had stored away in her room. She wasn't exactly sure if anything would come up, but she was determined to have an answer to any possible question.

After that, she approached her closet. While she loved her normal attire, today was about presenting herself in an ideal way. She flipped and pushed through her various outfits before finally finding a suitable dress. The skirt was long, the sleeves would drape over her hands, and she could tell it would be a nightmare to put on with its various parts, but it was perfect.