Aaron Burr (Modern)

[A/N: I really need to stop writing Aaron as a jerk. I treat my favorite characters with such disrespect (T-T). But I promise massive fluff is at the end!]

The tense silence in Y/n's household only seems to grow thicker as the couple sits down to eat dinner. While she places a spoon of soup in her mouth, her eyes flicker up towards her husband. Aaron is glaring at his food, aggressively tossing around his vegetables.

When Aaron first came home, Y/n knew something was wrong as soon as he slammed the door. At the loud sound, she scrambled off the couch. She was still half-asleep from her nap. Through lidded eyes, she watched her husband silently stalk past her and into their shared room. It took a few minutes for him to start throwing things around and to create a general ruckus that could be heard throughout the building. Y/n is a rather passive individual that is known for her patience and understanding. So, normally, she would go in and try to calm Aaron down.

However, today was not a day she was feeling very patient or understanding for anyone. She had woken up late with a head-splitting migraine. Aaron had already left so she was forced to drag herself out of bed and deal with it. She called off of work, during which she was forced to listen to her boss yell at her for an hour. That only increased the pounding in her skull. She shut all the blinds and took whatever pain medication she could find in her dazed state, hoping the migraine would dissipate after a few hours. It did not. She spent the day curled up on the couch in the dark, drifting in and out of fitful sleep. That is until her husband exploded into the apartment.

And, now, here they are. Sitting at a table eating mediocre takeout. Aaron grumbles to himself while Y/n tries to block out the intense lights in the room. "So, how was your day?" Aaron asks Y/n, barely looking at her.

Something about his tone rubs her the wrong way. "Oh, it was great." Sarcasm drips from her words.

"I'm sure." Aaron scoffs, returning the sarcasm with even more bite. "I guess that's why you didn't cook dinner tonight like I thought you would."

"Oh, my bad. I didn't realize it was the 18th century where wives are only good for food and babies." Y/n snaps back. She doesn't want to fight but she isn't going to take any of her husband's crap either. Not while she felt like bashing her head against the table to end her agony.

Aaron slams his fork down, pushing Y/n even closer to her limit. "Just because I expect a decent meal on your cooking day, I'm suddenly sexist? Do you ever get tired of playing the victim?"

"Do you ever get tired of being a spoiled man-child?" Without meaning to, Y/n raises her voice. Soon, they are both standing up and hurling insults without the slightest regard for each other. They are purely driven by anger, irritation, and the stress of the day collapsing on them all at once. The table between them shakes when Y/n bumps against it as she jabs a finger into Aaron's chest. Their glasses of water tip over when Aaron pounds his hands on the table.

This continues until one particular roar from Aaron reaches maximum volume. A piercing pain spreads across Y/n's head and black spots invade her vision. Almost rendered incapacitated by the pain, she hunches over and grabs her head. Tears prick at her eyes and she bites her lip to distract herself. Meanwhile, Aaron is completely frozen. He didn't think what he said had been that hurtful but if he caused her this much pain, he had to be in the wrong. Clearing his throat, Aaron takes a step toward her hunched figure. "A-are you okay?"

"No, I'm...not..." Y/n manages to weakly whimper. She stands back up and puts her hands over her eyes, obviously trying to shield them from something. "Just l-leave...me...alone." Aaron watches as his wife stumbles towards their bedroom. The miserable state of his wife causes him to forget whatever grievance he had with her. His eyes scan the room and finally fall on the various bottles of migraine medication that litter the couch.

Y/n has taken the time to cocoon herself in multiple blankets. Clearly, pain medication isn't going to help so all she can do is try to block out what she can. After several terrible minutes, the pain does ease up. The pounding isn't gone but she can breathe without wanting to die. Too afraid to move any more than necessary, Y/n gingerly pokes her head out of the blankets and lies on a nearby pillow on the bed.

She is in the middle of wondering how she will patch things up with Aaron when the smell of lavender hits her nose. She feels her body instantly relax. As more time passes, Y/n notices the temperature drop slightly. This prompts her to wiggle out of her blankets more and bask in the cool air flowing through the room.

Another ten minutes pass and the door slowly creaks open. The dim light from the hallway reveals Aaron with something in his hand and a glass of water. He hurriedly closes the door and tip-toes over to her side. The worried frown on his face makes Y/n's heart melts instantly. Without saying a word, Aaron motions for Y/n to sit up. She does so and he slips two pills past her lips. Then, he brings the glass of water to her mouth and tips it over so it carries the pills down her throat.

After gently pushing her back down, Aaron lays down beside her and pulls her to his chest. They simply relax in the dark while he glides his hands through her hair and she snuggles into his warmth. Once the pounding has become slight throbbing, Y/n takes a deep breath. "Thank you."

"Does your head feel better?" She feels Aaron shift to look at her as she nods. "That's a relief. I was hoping the lavender and air conditioning would buy some time as I went to get the strongest pain medication I could find. If you feel the same tomorrow, I'm dragging you to the doctor."

Y/n playful groans. "Boooo! You know I hate those stupid doctors. They never actually help."

"The one I take you to will, even if I have to flash around my wallet." Aaron's arms slide around Y/n and tug her closer. "I can't have you dying on me only five years into our marriage."

"Don't worry. You can't get rid of me that easily." Y/n moves her head so she can kiss his cheek. While he is acting light-hearted now, she knows he suffers from feelings of abandonment because of the premature deaths of his own parents. She doesn't want him worrying about her leaving too soon. Deciding to change the subject, Y/n intertwines her hands with his. "So what happened at work?"

Aaron stiffens, obviously reliving what had caused him to get so upset. "It was nothing." He mutters.

"Don't lie."

"You know the promotion I was talking about getting?"

Y/n clenches her teeth at the dejected tone in her husband's voice. "Don't tell me Alexander got it?" His silence answers her question. A new surge of rage fills her and it is directed at a tiny man by the name of Alexander Hamilton. "That's ridiculous! You've worked for the law firm longer than that clown! I'll march straight to Washington's house right now and demand to know what he was thinking. Alexander must have bribed him." Y/n moves to rush out of the bed but Aaron pulls her back down with a chuckle.

"A few hours ago I probably would have let you but I'm not that upset anymore."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Yeah." Aaron tucks his head into the crook of Y/n's neck. "Besides, without the extra work, I can spend more time with you." Smiling to herself, Y/n wonders how such a terrible day could turn into such a perfect moment. But she makes a mental note to call Washington in the morning to give him a piece of her mind.