James Madison (Modern)

An earth-shaking sneeze sounds throughout the house for the fifty-seventh time. It is followed by a feeble voice that belongs to my husband. "H-Honey? Could y-you bring me my soup?" I set down my phone and scurry out of my home office. 

"Of course! One second!" I stumble through the kitchen and search for a clean bowl. I've been up four exactly 48 hours trying to care for my sick husband and complete the projects my boss gave me. My energy is close to zero and my love for the ill man upstairs is all that is keeping me going. 

After trying to warm up the soup and stay awake at the same time, I trudge up the stairs to the bedroom. I slowly open the door and peer in. James is curled up under the blankets with only his head showing. His eyes are closed as he tries to focus on breathing through his mouth. Our cat, Lemon, is lying beside his head on my pillow. 

I tiptoe in and set the soup on the nightstand closest to my husband. He cracks his eyes open and sends me a small smile. "I'm so sorry to bother you. I would go get it myself if my leg wasn't broken." I glance at his cast wearily. My poor James is a living disaster. But I love him.

"I don't mind." I reassure him. "It is the least I can do for you. Just remember to get your rest and take your medication." 

Lemon meows, as if answering for him. James closes his eyes and ducks back under the covers after one spoon of soup. I take this to mean I can go so I march back down to my office. 

The day goes by slowly and painfully. Keeping my eyes open becomes more and more of a challenge. I finally sign off at midnight and practically crawl out of the room. I stare at the staircase leading to my bedroom and shake my head. I barely have the energy to make it five feet. The cold tiles beneath my hands send a refreshing chill up my arms and I find myself lowering my head on the floor. Only for a few minutes...

My eyes flutter open to recognize the sun shining right on my face. I shake my head to clear the sleepy confusion muddling my memory. When I finally do wake up fully, I discover that I am in my living room tucked under a blanket on my couch. Lemon is laying on my stomach, rising up and down with my own breathing. 

"Good morning, sleepy head." I peer over the  of back my couch to see James wandering around the kitchen. His soft features are devoid of any sickness and he walks with stability on his crutches. Sending me a closed-eyed smile, he starts coming towards me. 

I rub my eyes and stretch. "What happened?"

"I found you asleep on the floor the day before yesterday. I can't tell you how much work it took to get you onto the couch with my crutches." He chuckles to himself before taking a final step and planting a kiss on my forehead.

My eyes widen in horror. "I slept away an ENTIRE day?!?" I start to scramble off the couch. This startles Lemon, who jumps away and tumbles onto my feet. "I missed work! My boss is going to kill me! And how did you survive? I didn't help you all day! I'm so-"

"Whoa! Whoa!" James leans on the couch so he can rub my arm. "Take a breath. I handled it all. Besides, you needed a break. You take care of me almost every month when I get sick. Honestly, you should have slept for three more days in my opinion." His eyes meet mine with slight guilt. 

"James, I want to take care of you. I love you. I am committed to you and your poor immune system." I grab his hand and intertwine his fingers with my own. His shoulders relax with my words, as if weights were lifted off of them. 

"You are so amazing, honey. I don't deserve you." He lets out a contented sigh. Little does he know, it is me that doesn't deserve him. He may always be sick or injured but he never fails to chase away my worries and give me a reason to enjoy life.