Aaron Burr (Modern)

The smell of cookies wafts through the house. I love baking. It calms me and makes me feel better. Plus, I probably have a sugar addiction but that's beside the point. As I take the freshly baked cookies out of the oven, my stepdaughter runs over.

"Are the cookies done, Darla?" A large smile covers her face. I treasure her smiles. I've only seen a few since her mother died. One of them being the day her father and I married.

"Yes." I hand her a cookie. She tries but can't hide the smile on her face. She runs off again. For a nineteen-year-old, she really has a lot of energy.

I grab two cookies for myself and walk back into the living room. I eat my cookies in less than a minute. Aaron doesn't get home anytime soon and I finished grading all my student's papers. A nap sounds nice. I sink into the couch cushions and close my eyes. I drift off to sleep just as I hear the front door slam shut.

"OF ALL THE ARROGANT, LOUDMOUTH-" Aaron Burr, my husband of seven years, stomps into the room. He throws his briefcase on the floor and practically rips off his tie.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" I stumble off the couch.

Aaron's eyes fall on me. "The election is done. I lost."

"What?" I grab his arm. "How? Everyone loves you!"

"Loved. Not after the stunt Hamilton pulled. He released a speech an hour ago telling everyone how they should vote for Jefferson and break the tie. He made me out to be an indecisive idiot who just wants power. The speech is all over the news. I'm definitely losing now."

"Honey, I'm so sorry. I'm sure this will blow over. Anyone who doesn't see how much better you are is an idiot." I rub his arm soothingly and lead him to the couch.

Aaron arches his eyebrow and frowns at me. "Jefferson is your best friend. That's why you told me you were staying out of this."

"I know but I still think you deserve this more. You should win." I kiss him on the cheek. "You've worked so hard for everything."

Aaron's expression softens and he pulls me close. "Thank you, Darla. I can always count on you.""When do the votes go in?"

"Tomorrow morning." Aaron sighs. "I have to watch the results with Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison, and their families as a tradition apparently."

"Then I'll be right by your side when you win and show everyone just how wrong they were." I wrap my arms around him and lean into his chest. He kisses my forehead and I can feel him smiling.

The next morning, we stand outside of the Hamiltons' house. Everyone agreed that we should watch the polls and results here because it was the most neutral territory we could find. I knock and I hear someone scurry to the door. Eliza swings open the door, a tired-looking Alexander behind her.

"Oh." Alexander's face darkens. "It's Burr."