Chapter 31

"It's just a report to the Chancellor," Anakin stated, frowning at Starkiller's insistence of joining.

"I know. I just wanted to talk to my sister while you tell him Grievous and Obi-Wan are fighting," the boy stated.

"It's going to take a minute or two at most."

"Oh, come on, Anakin. I promise I won't be any trouble."

"....Why do I still bother trying to argue with you people? Fine, but keep up."

The kid looked relieved at his words. The Jedi couldn't help but wonder why.

Or why something in his gut was rolling in turmoil that had nothing to do with Obi-Wan's current danger.

And it only got worse when they made it to the Senate Building to find Zilla—decked out in her armor once more along with an additional lightsaber—waiting for them. She and Starkiller shared a single look.

"What's going on?" Anakin asked, looking between them with a frown.

"I have found myself with the need to speak with Lucy," Zilla answered. Her voice was hoarse, as if she'd been using it too much while her neck and bottom half of her face—the only parts of her body that weren't covered and that he could see with any relative ease—were flushed bright red. Her eyes looked different too, but the shadow of her hood prevented him from being able to figure out why.

"Are you—"

"Anakin, you have a chancellor to meet, do you not?" she interrupted before he could finish, turning around and heading away.

"I'll meet you back here," Starkiller muttered quickly, looking rather uneasy as he headed off after her. Anakin watched them go until they'd turned down a hall before trying to shake himself out of his concerns and heading towards the Chancellor's office.

It didn't work. Zilla had never shown up at the Senate Building before, and Anakin had that weird feeling again—same one he had when she had first appeared.

That something was seriously wrong with her. But it was worse this time. A lot worse.

Without even realizing it, Anakin found himself in front of the door to Palpatine's office. He entered with a sigh before quickly finding the Chancellor seated behind his desk studying a holo.

The Jedi would do this real quick, then drag Zilla kicking and screaming to the Temple if he had to. He didn't know who she was trying to fool, but she needed help.

"Chancellor, we've just received word from Master Kenobi. He has engaged General Grievous," Anakin announced as Palpatine's chair spun to face him.

"Then I hope Master Kenobi is up for the challenge," Palpatine responded. The Jedi gave a small nod in agreement, a new concern now tumbling about in his gut at the reminder that his best friend was probably blade to blade with the infamous Jedi killer by now.

"I should be there with him."

"I am upset the Council doesn't seem to fully appreciate your talent. Don't you wonder why they don't make you a Jedi Master?" the Chancellor asked. Anakin didn't respond at first. Yes, he wondered, but at the same time he knew some of the reasons.

"I'd assume it's because they believe me to be too rash."

"They don't trust you, Anakin," Palpatine stated as he stood before walking forward. The Jedi looked up at him with a partial frown. "They know you are loyal and will not bow down to what they are planning to do. They see your future. They know your power will be too strong to control," the man continued as he placed a confronting hand on the Jedi's shoulder and began to lead him up the stairs and into a private hall to his other office. "They wish to use you for your power, wield you to keep the galaxy and Republic in line. You must break through the fog of lies the Jedi have created around you. Let me help you."