Chapter 29

"What do you know about Eclipse?"

Luke nearly choked on his drink, looking up at his father. He and Leia had gotten to the apartment long before either of their parents as they had both decided that it would be wise for them to stay out of Palpatine's direct gaze while the couple attended the all important Delegation of Two Thousand meeting. Besides, if anything happened, Eclipse would comm them as she had already informed the two Rebels that she had the ability to listen into anything the Chancellor felt like doing in that office of his. The two siblings had managed to get a relatively decent dinner together for the couple and had eaten separately to allow their parents privacy—more like Leia the ability to stay in her room away from Anakin for the rest of the day, but you get the idea. Luke had been staring out at Coruscant's skyscape for most of the time, allowing his parent's privacy but also keeping an eye out for anything strange or unusual. Eclipse had been watching over the apartment each night since she had arrived for safety's sake, but she'd told him she would no longer be able to do that as she had become a direct target.

It was yet another reason she had decided to bring him—she could no longer stay and ensure the Skywalkers' safety without risking theirs and her own. She'd even taught him the meditation trick she'd been using so he'd be able to stay aware all night and rest at the same time.

"Not much, why?" the boy said in response to Anakin's question.

"Just curious. What do you know?" the Jedi asked, sitting down across from him.

"Well, she's been apprenticed to Vader for the past seven years and is his sole heir now he's dead," Luke stated with a shrug even as he felt the grief pull at him slightly; slightly only due to the fact his father was actually sitting across from him and the boy had a chance to stop everything that had happened in his time. It was harmless enough information and something literally everyone knew. "No one knows where she came from."

"Wouldn't Vader's son be his heir?"

It took literally every ounce of Luke's self control to not jerk in surprise at the words. "Who the hell told you he had a son?"

"Eclipse."

"Well, no clue. That isn't exactly well known information, and I don't know if his son would want it....advertised." More like the twin sister of the son would definitely not want it advertised. "Regardless, as far as legulties are concerned, she's the heir. His son could make a claim I suppose, but I don't think it'd go that well for him."

"I see," Anakin said slowly. Luke glanced at the Jedi to find that the man was studying him thoughtfully. "Are you him?"

"I'm the son of a Jedi Knight," the Skywalker boy stated, his voice firm and proud even as he suddenly began to understand why people liked half truths so much.

"But Vader could have been a Jedi before he was a Sith."

"....What has Eclipse been telling you?" Luke asked as his guard rose

"Nothing," Anakin responded, crossing his arms as he leaned back. "Just discussing hypothetical situations that involve the three of you coming from the future."

Dang it, Ben. "Hypothetical. No one said we actually are."

"Right. So, hypothetically speaking, what in Force's name is the son of Vader doing in the past?"

"What would you be doing?" the Jedi returned. "If you were Vader's son and had traveled to a time say, before your father turned, what would you be doing?"

"....I'd probably try to stop it," Anakin stated, even as he frowned, shaking his head. "But that would put you at odds with Eclipse. She'd never prevent something like that."

You'd be surprised. "So, would that be possible or would it be more likely we'd be at each other's throats?"

"What is it with you people and answering questions with questions?"

"We're trying to get you to think for yourself," Luke responded, looking out a window, a small smile finding its way onto his face. "After all, the most important thing to people is what they believe in, and if that can be altered with a simple conversation and a handful of questions, then obviously they don't believe as much as they say they do. For instance everyone, my sister included, believed Vader was evil to the core," he said, the smile dropping away. "I didn't believe it. Refused to.... And I was right. Vader saved my life. That was how he died, protecting me.... And Lucy still doesn't believe me when I tell her there was good in him." Luke shook his head in disappointment and turned his attention back to his father. "Believe we're from the future or not, doesn't make much difference 'cause we're here and helping either way. The real question is what else you believe and whether or not you're going to commit to it.... Not to beat a dead bantha, but take earlier today for example: You believe Palpatine over Padmé, why?"

"You shouldn't have been listening," Anakin said with a glare.

"It was Lucy's idea. Besides, treason is a pretty big word," Luke responded, meeting the Jedi head on—if he'd stood up to his father as Vader, he could stand up to him here. "No one throws that word around lightly, let alone during war time."

"Palaptine was the one—"

"But you doubted her all the same. At the end of the day, you believed him over her, even if only for a few minutes. I wasn't raised by my parents, but I know that would have never happened to my Aunt and Uncle—they trusted each other unconditionally. You need to figure out who you believe and trust, Anakin. We can't do that for you."

Anakin slowly nodded, seeming to take in his words, before the two Jedi lapsed into silence for a few moments.

"Do you know how late Eclipse is going to be?" the Jedi asked after a moment, his eyes seeming to pause on a particular rooftop.

"She isn't coming back," Luke responded. Anakin looked at him with a frown. "Thought she told you."

"No. Did she find a place to stay?"

"Don't think she's staying anywhere," the boy responded, shaking his head even as his father's expression became more concerned. "Sidious is hunting her big time."

"What?"

"She really didn't tell you?" Luke asked as his eyes widened. Of all the people not to tell, it was her Master's past self? Anakin shook his head in response as he sat up straighter. "She's drawn too much attention to herself, interfered with his plans too much. It's another reason she brought us here—we have yet to get on his radar so my sister and I have more flexibility at the moment than she does. Eclipse said it'd be safer for everyone for her to stay out of the way."

"But she's sick!"

"She said she's had worse....though I can't imagine how."

"What's actually wrong with her?"

Luke sighed, running a hand over his face. "Honestly, I don't exactly know. She said she drew on Force lightning and severely hurt herself while doing it. I don't know how that's possible considering I've been targeted by it and didn't look half as bad. Parts of her skin were glowing, and where that was it was just.... Her skin was cracked open in some places, and it looked like poison was visibly in her veins. It was like sun poisoning but worse."

"....And she's on the run from bounty hunters alone?"

"She's Vader's Shadow. What did you expect?"

"For her to be selfish and actually try not to get herself killed," Anakin responded, shaking his head even as he stood. "I'm going to check on her."

"Anakin, Eclipse can take care of herself," Luke said, standing to stop the older Jedi. "I've heard people tell horror stories of her on the battlefield. She'll be fine. I'd honestly be more worried about the people who are trying to kill her. It never goes well—we've tried a dozen times over."

Anakin didn't look happy about it, but he relaxed all the same.