Chapter 17

"What the hell did Eclipse talk with you all about?" Anakin asked in a low voice, grabbing Obi-Wan's arm and preventing him from following the rest of the Jedi Masters out of the room even as Yoda discussed something with Mace about his leave for ‎Kashyyyk's front.

"Anakin," his friend responded shaking his head and sighing. "Let's just say that if it weren't for her, I'd be being forced to ask you to do something against.... Against your own morals and mine. You do not want to know what mission she's been given is."

"They gave her a mission?!"

"Yes," Obi-Wan sighed, shaking his head, "though she seemed rather insistent on taking it with or without our blessing, the only issue being if we would like her to share."

"Share what?"

"Again, Anakin, it's better if you don't know."

"What else was there?" Anakin asked. Obi-Wan gave him a confused glance. "Look, regardless of what Eclipse brought to the table, you all were still in there too long."

"....The Council was far from happy with the way the Chancellor is exercising power over the Jedi. They didn't grant you the rank of Master because it would be like voting for Palpatine himself. You're too close to the Chancellor, Anakin. I warned you of the tensions between the Chancellor and the Council, and you managed to get yourself right in the middle of it."

"I didn't ask to be pulled into this political game, Obi-Wan! I didn't ask to be given a seat on the Council. What am I supposed to do, alienate the man that has been nothing but kind and generous to me since I came to this planet?"

"You may not have asked to be put on the Council, but you have always wanted it, haven't you?" Anakin didn't answer him, looking away. He didn't need to. "I know this is far from something you asked for, but regardless you are now acting as the median between the Council and the Chancellor. You have your work cut out for you."

"Are things really that bad?"

"Yes, Anakin, unfortunately they are...." Obi-Wan sighed, looking as tired as Anakin felt. The Council Chambers had long since emptied and the door was closed leaving the air silent. "Wasn't there something you wished to talk to me in private?" the Jedi Master asked before continuing on at his friend's confused look. "About your vision and Padmé?"

"Oh, that," Anakin said, suddenly wishing he was on the other side of the Temple because he knew when Obi-Wan set his mind to finding out something, Force be with you if you wanted to keep it a secret. "I was hoping you forgot."

"Yes, well, I may remind you that while I'm not as close to the Senator as you are, she is still a good friend of mine. What's troubling you, Anakin? You know you can tell me anything."

Anakin looked out the window, at the floor, at the ceiling, anywhere but Obi-Wan's eyes as he silently fought with himself.

"You have to promise not to tell anyone what I'm about to tell you," the Jedi finally stated, looking directly at his lifelong friend—his emotions bare in his eyes. "And I mean no one."

"Okay," Obi-Wan agreed slowly, his voice careful as though he was trying to approach a hurt beast but still somehow firm—trying to say he'd do anything in his power to help. "I won't tell anyone; you have my word. What's wrong?"

"....I," Anakin dropped off, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath before deciding to just spit it out and get it over with. "I had a vision of Padmé dying in childbirth."

Obi-Wan was silent. "She isn't even pregnant. That doesn't make...." he dropped off and Anakin risked looking up at him to find that as a matter a fact, the Jedi Master understood all too well. "Oh, Anakin."