Her lips frown slightly. "I'm sorry Lara," she sighs before lowering her head to the floor.

"I'm so sorry if she's bothered you," Lara says as she takes Phoenix's hand and pulls her to her side.

Evan shakes his head instantly. "Not at all," he beams up to her. "In fact she helped me find these." He holds up the keys.

Phoenix smiles again and pushes her frizzy hair out of her eyes.

"Aw," Lara squeezes her hand. "You clever little girl,"

Evan smiles so brightly that my heart pangs at his joy.

"I'm sorry, I'm usually not this bad with the kids," Lara laughs as she flicks her eyes between Caleb and I. "There is just so many to keep an eye on but we all want them to have the time to go out,"

I watch as Evan leans forward to listen. "Time to go out?" He questions.

Lara nods. "We work at the foster care home down the road," she points behind her. "We try and take them out when the weather is good but boy is it hard."

"I could imagine," Evan agrees.

"Well anyway, sorry again for interrupting you," she smiles. "Let's go Phoenix,"

"Bye," Evan waves towards her, her little hand waving back.

His eyes fixate on mine after a few moments, his pupils dilated with sadness. "How could someone give up such a sweet little child like her?" He asks in disbelief.

I sigh and place my hand on his shoulder. "Really, really nasty people who don't deserve the good things," I say.

"That makes me so sad, they deserve such a good life, they're so innocent and vulnerable," his eyes close for a brief second as his shoulders drop.

"They're probably in better hands than their birth parents," my hand moves from his shoulder to the back of his neck. "They are most likely safer without them."

Evan thinks about my words for a moments before he nods. "Yeah, you're right," he says as he smiles at me.

Raising my wrist to check the time, it was later than I thought. "I hate to love you and leave you, but I got to go," I say as I bring my lips to his forehead.

Evan remains close to me. "Thanks for coming out to spend time with us today, it means a lot to me," he says before flicking his blue eyes up to me so innocently.

"I know and it was fun, I had a nice time," I tell him as I push myself up from the bench.

"Oh Caleb, are you going?" Ava asks and I quickly nod.

"Yeah sorry, I promised Felix I'd do something with him,"

Ava smiles. "It was nice to spend time with you today," she says sweetly.

"You too," I nod. "Goodbye Kayleigh,"

Kayleigh waves at me before returning to her conversation with Ava.

Leaning down to catch Evan's lips with mine, his skin feeling warm. I kiss him once, then twice. "See you at home," I whisper against him before pulling away.