6. acceptance

EVAN WOLFE

For the first time since I can remember, I didn't reach for my little metal box in my drawer when I went upstairs for a shower. Something inside of me was beaming with pride and I couldn't bring myself to ruin this feeling, it felt so alien to me and I never wanted it to go away.

I let the hot water hit my body, closing my eyes tightly as I enjoy the feeling of the warmth. After I cleansed my body of dirt and blood, I threw on a black oversized hoodie and some grey sweatpants. My body was exhausted and I felt battered but I was proud of myself and it made the pain go away.

When I went back downstairs I wasn't expecting Caleb's pack to still be here. It worried me how much both of our packs got on. I poked my head round the door of the kitchen and my eyes watch as Ava holds Aurora and Zara gushes at her.

I slowly back away and move into the living room which was thankfully empty. I glance out the window and watch as heavy rain patters onto the glass window, the rain was so relaxing.

My feet carry me to the large windows and I stare outside, my breath behind to create condensation on the glass. I follow the little rain droplets with my eyes and listen to the sound of pattering.

"Are you not even going to thank me for saving you pups?"

My body jumps at the voice and I hit my forehead onto the window.

Caleb stifles a harsh laugh as I turn towards him and rub the spot on my skin that is beginning to pulsate.

When I look up to him he quirks an eyebrow in my direction and crosses his arms over his chest, his face as cold as stone.

"Why would I thank you?" I challenge. Caleb didn't like this reply because his jaw ticks. "You've threatened to kill me before so,"

I wait for him to say something but he doesn't.

"So the real question is why did you save me?" I ask as I jam my hands into my hoodie pocket and I lace my fingers together. "I could have been gone. Out of your life. So why didn't you just leave me there?"

My eyes bore into his, all he does is listen to me.

"Or was it because you wanted to do it yourself?" I ask taking one step closer to him, our chests almost touch.

His green eyes scan my face quickly as his cold stare drops for a split second. "I could never hurt you," he admits, his voice is barely above a whisper.

My heart pangs in my chest at his words and it makes me feel giddy inside. It sounds pathetic because your mate should never hurt you and they should never have to tell you that. But the fact that I actually thought he wanted me dead and now he's admitting he wouldn't hurt me does strange things to my wolf. He actually feels accepted.

"Why?" I say quietly. "You were ready to snap my neck a few weeks ago."

Caleb lowers his eyes and drops his arms to his side. "The bond," he says to the floor before glancing back at me again. "It would kill me, nothing more."

I laugh to myself, there it is. The catch.

"You're just scared," the words slip out of my mouth before I can register what I'm saying.